more house

I’ve been meaning to do a post about our painted cabinets. If you checked out my guest post over at Nesting Place yesterday, you got a good partial glimpse. I wanted to wait until the cabinets are all the way done before I did a full fledged ‘after’ post. But they just aren’t done yet.

knobs

Case in point? The above photo is of the knobs we are going to put on our cabinets. They are lined up neatly on the countertop but have yet to be installed because I am two parts lazy and one part scared of the drill. I’ll get there. And, just so you know? These knobs? Anthropologie has them for $8.00 each.

Did Emily buy those? No, she did not. Because Hobby Lobby had them, too. And they were half off. Two Dollars each, people. Two little dollars. I great-big-red-heart Hobby Lobby. But you already knew that.

So maybe soon-like I will finish them up and post some after photos.  If you are itching to see some housey stuff until then, here are a few links of some other rooms of the house we have redone.

Related New Old House Posts

A Happy House

1964 Bathroom Spruce Up

1964 Living Room Makeover

The Office: A History

Portrait of a Kitchen (from our previous home)

Comments

I can’t wait to see it! Those knobs are so perfect! I’m loving the mirror and window treatments in the background of the photo at Nesting Place too.

My hubby and I are planning to pick up subway tile tomorrow so that we can finally get to the backsplash project in our kitchen. I was inspired to add it to our ‘to do’ list after your last kitchen post. I wonder if I’ll be adding ‘paint cabinets black’ after your next post. :)

I love Hobby Lobby, too! But I’m amazed that you can leave these things lined up on your counter – you must not have cats. I have two cats, and if I dared to do that, they’d knock them off and hide them in no time flat!

By the way, I loved seeing what you did with your kitchen!

I’ve been in love with those knobs at Anthropologie forever and I stumbled upon them at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago and almost started jumping up and down! I love that you’re using them in your kitchen. Can’t wait to see them.

I was seriously thinking you were a little on the loopy side if you had spent $8 on each of those knobs! Then I sighed a little sigh of relief when I read the rest of the post. Yea for Hobby Lobby! I think I may run out there today. Well, drive. It would be a really long run since it’s 30 minutes by car. Oh, and I don’t run anywhere. : )

These knobs are so cute!! I will have to go to Hobby Lobby because I need some for my cabinets also. I’m always changing something!!

We’ve talked about painting our kitchen cabinets (they are the “developement home” oak – YUK!) I have NEVER wanted to paint them black and now I can’t stop thinking about it! I can’t wait until we move to our long-term home and I can do all of the little things I see. I don’t even know which of you posted about the binder of ideas, but mine is officially started… with pictures from both of your sites! Thank you!

Ohhh, what a fun post Emily! Loved seeing all your before and after photos!!! You are so creative and talented, and between you and the Nester, watch out world!!

This is the first time we have lived in a new home, and it’s funny…in all the years in older homes, we were trying to make them look newer…now in a newer home, I am trying to age it…changing modern light fixtures for a more european look…painting for texture and age, bringing in antiques, etc…I guess that is the fun of home ownership, transforming a house you like into a home you love!

Great job! :-)

I heart Hobby Lobby too! They always seem to have what I need. I’m afraid of the drill too–well really I’m afraid I’ll mess it up when there’s no goin’ back. Can’t wait to see the finished project.

Hugs, M

P.S. After a little meltdown on Tues we received good news on Wed about our dossier. At least we know it made it to China safely. Keep prayin’!

9. Sissy says

I love using a drill and I will so come and help you install those. I did all the ones at our other house and it takes maybe 20 minutes to do them all.

So cute. I about fell off my chair when you said $8 per knob…heart attack. I was then revived when you said you found them at Hobby Lobby. Love it.

people tell me all the time they find these at hobby Lobby and I never can find them. I think I get distracted in another aisle. Probably rubber stamps.

I want those cups form anthropologie with the numbers on them. Do you know which ones I mean?

I liked your post at the Nester’s today. You’ve made your house look so nice–I wish I could do the same to mine, but I don’t think there’s enough Tobacco Road in the world and my husband won’t let me hire a painter. We have to buy diapers for two bottoms instead.

I am taking a sabbatical from trying anyway–I’ve reached the point (AGAIN) where I’ve read to many blog posts showing fabulous things and think my house looks like it has dung smeared on the walls (and it probably has been somewhere–though not my any of us. yet.). Oops. TMI again.

I can’t wait to see the finished cabinets.

12. Courtney says

Hi Emily! I LOVE your kitchen! Just wondering how you pick the perfect black… not too glossy, not too goth, etc… What color did you use? And what is the wall color?

Thanks!
    Courtney

Okay, I know you will now officially think I’m a big ol’ copycat. BUT, I was awake at 5:40 a.m. this morning thinking that I should change the knobs or paint the knobs on our kitchen cabinets and trying to decide on what knobs would be best.

I LOVE THESE!

But my cabs are white. Maybe glass knobs? Or just paint my silver knobs black?

Anyway, weird that I had knobs on the brain…and then this post.

And oh, how I love your cabinets. And your island. Love it all. Such great taste!

I am in love with your cabinets! I have been wanting to paint ours of a while now and your sure are inspiration!!!

And Hobby Lobby – just can’t get enough of that place :)

15. Jennifer says

I’m copying your previous kitchen, just so you know! It’s almost finished; just waiting on the granite installation. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way the painted cabinets turned out. Thanks for being my inspiration, Emily!

Those knobs! Those knobs! Are you taunting me????

I bought those knobs in black the last time I was in your great state. They’re to replace the hardware on the rehabbed buffet that I have in my family room. I waited until I found the perfect knobs. I heard angels singing when I found these knobs.

So what’s the problem? I bought 3 but I need 4. Apparently, I’ve lost the ability to count.

No one else sells these knobs. I even tried Anthropologie. I was willing to pay $8 for 1 knob. Black is the only color they don’t carry.

And you taunt me with your glorious knobs. Nice.
    K