before and after

house-before-2

Before the paint.

house-after

After the paint.

Painting brick is sometimes the best idea ever. This is one of those times. I have more photos to prove it, but is that really necessary? Just because the house is dated when you buy it doesn’t mean it has to be dated when you live in it.

***

I’m guest posting over at The Inspired Room today, where the lovely and gentle-spirited Melissa offers encouragement and inspiration for creating both a beautiful home and a beautiful life without breaking the bank. I hope you will hop over there and say hello!

Comments

I adore your house – on the inside and out. Of course, the folks inside it aren’t so bad either! I’m off to read your guest post! Two of my favorite writers in one place…blog reading doesn’t get much better than this!

Jackie looks like she graduated from ‘What Not to Wear.’ You should have kept the ladder, though — you know, for the kids.

OMGoodness! What a beautiful transformation.
    We had a painted brick house once upon a time & I’ve always loved the timeless look of it.
    Great job!

LOVE it! I agree, painting brick can be such a transformation – we painted the nasty brick fireplace in our old home and it was awesome.

So excited to see you at The Inspired Room today! Fabulous!

What a wonderful after =) I came over from Inspired Room- loved your post there too. Thanks for sharing all your creativity.
    You have a lovely blog.
    have a great day
    Teresa

Oh my gosh Emily – totally STUNNING!!!!!!!!! Seriously! Straight out of a magazine. How fun to live there.

Hugs to you my friend…

xoxoxox

7. Karen P says

OMG!!!! That looks great!!! We are debating the same thing – you may have just pushed me over the edge!

I wonder who your biggest cheerleader was for that project? ;) I think it looks awesome. And refreshing. I’m so glad my all-brick houseis in a shade I like, or I’d be dying to paint it and I know my husband would not go for that kind of DIY project. But should we ever buy a house with ugly YELLOW brick, it is so gone.

I also read your post at Melissa’s blog–you take such cool pictures. One day I might figure out how to get cool shots and angles and whatevers, but first I need a camera that actually takes pictures in focus. That might help, right?

Okay… so this looks amazing! I called my mom over to the computer to look at it. She absolutely loved it too!

I talk about yours and your sisters blog ALL the time and tell her about all the creative things you do.

There have been so many times where yall have encouraged me to try something or given me new ideas that I would have never thought of.

I totally enjoy your blog! Have a great week!

Wowzers….the change took my breath away….well, made me breath deep. Sure opened up the home. I’ve got this “amazing” looking fireplace – all brick that I keep threatening to paint white. I’m so motivated now!

So glad my sweet friend, Melissa, found you, has you guest posting….so I could visit your sweet spot. Lylah

I’m coming out of lurkdom to say WOW – What a transformation! The house looked so dated before but the white paint really makes it elegant and timeless. Did you just paint the brick or did you repaint the siding too? Either way it looks great :D

Love, love, LOVE it! I want to paint our brick outside, but I know my husband will not approve. He HAS approved painting the fireplace brick, though, so I can’t wait to have that finished!

You are fearless…painting the brick and painting your cabinets black. We look forward to whats next ;)

We painted the brick on our house, too, even though people tried to talk us out of it. When they saw the end result, they agreed with our decision. As seen in your before and after photos, it can completely transform your house!

14. Beth says

It looks beautiful! I like how the steps look with their own fresh coat of paint. Thanks for sharing!

Amazing! I love that the white brings out things (like the window near the door) that you cannot see w/ the original brick color.

WOW!!!!! Now that is one amazing transformation! What a difference in the before and after. Does she have a name yet? You know, the house I mean… :-)

17. Alexis says

Emily! I love the white painted brick! Your house looks totally different!! I love the whole look of it!

18. mary says

LOVE the white painted brick! Reminds me of some of those gorgeous homes in Savannah…

I’ve been telling my hubby for years that his mom’s red brick cape house would be FAB with the brick painted white. He doesn’t get it. Gotta show him your pics! Amazing and what a difference!
    mary

Well, of course you don’t need more pictures of it. However, I would LOVE to drool over 20 or so more! It looks wonderful, Emily!

Thank you so much for posting this! I absloutely love the results you’ve had. Your house is gorgeous! The paint really brightened the house up & made it appear more welcoming. My husband & I have been debating on painting the brick on the front of our house, too. We were told the paint wouldn’t stick & would peel off in no time. I’m glad to see that’s not the case! I can’t wait to share this post with him!!! Great job!

I am so happy you posted this. We have tacky red brick on the bottom half of our 70’s ranch and I have been debating about whether or not to do this. I think this helped me decide to just do it!

22. Kimi G says

I would love to see a follow up post on specifics of materials you used and how you completed this project…. Like the black kitchen cab post which was very helpful…. I love it when you share the “how to” information! Thank you for inspiring us all to LOVE the home we are in!

OMG…I was just doing an internet search on painting brick and YOU came up!!! My new friend from She Speaks!!! LOVE the paint. We are looking at a red brick house to buy and I don’t love the outside, but I love the inside so very much. I had the idea today that if we painted it white I could love it.

How much does it cost to paint a brick house? Any idea??

Love ya!
    Sandy Cooper

It is amazing what a fresh layer of paint can do to any home, building, car, or room! I love seeing the transformation. And painting brick is a great way to transform an older looking home. I just love the feel and look of a freshly painted home.

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative.
    I’m gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if
    you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!
    what do you think´s last blog post ..what do you think