unwrapping tuesday

a book

I never said it had to be big. I only said it had to be a gift. And lately for me, reading fiction has been just that. It is a gift to be able to sit down with endearing, compelling characters and enter into their world of adventure. They expect nothing from me. They simply tell their own story-truth, fears, flaws and all. I love the gentlemanly way of a book, how he holds open the door and waits for me to walk through at my own pace. Lately, that pace has been ferocious as I can’t wait to see what happens next. Today, I am thankful for the power of story.

Take the time to notice the small gifts; messy, lovely or unexpected. Simply link up below with the permalink to the post you wish to share with us. Go here if you have questions on how to do that. Thank you for being an important part of this small community.

For those of you reading in a reader, you will need to click over to the blog to see the links.

Comments

finding time to read! that is a gift! your words are urging me to find a story to dive into… where nothing is expected from me and i can move at my own pace. thank you for creating this lovely space!

Your image of the Harry Potter reminded me of another Tuesdays Unwrapped moment. My son Noah and I are making our way through the Harry Potter series. We love cozying up on the couch in the evening to read a few pages…and we both look forward to that time throughout the day!

Amen, sister. Hubby and I just came home from a long nine day vacation and I raided the library right before we left. It was fabulous to spend the days lounging around and finding myself caught up in lives that were neither my own nor real. Oh the love of a good book. :)

Yes, ma’am: you’re right. What a gift to be able to immerse oneself in a book

Your description of a good book reminded me of God–there for us, never demanding, just waiting patiently for when we will find the time to interact with Him, ready to delight us and enthrall us.

And is safe to assume that you are finally reading the Harry Potter books? Is that a photo of your legs holding the Prisoner of Azkaban? Oh! the spiritual symbolism in those books!

Take care, dear reading friend.

Richella

Ahhhh…fiction. It has been far too long since I’ve had the time to immerse myself in a story other than the one I’m living! Collections of essays and nonfiction books with short chapters are pretty much all I’ve read for the last few years. If you have any suggestions for good fiction, please pass them on! I’m hoping my days of novel reading will be back sooner than later. :)

Thanks for the reminder, and again — for hosting this tradition. I really do enjoy reading everyone’s stories and discovering new blogs to add to my reader.

I still haven’t read any of Harry Potter, primarily because I’m afraid to start and not have time to finish (and be tempted to read through the night instead of sleep). But a book you can get lost in, that’s definitely a gift worth unwrapping!

I need to find some time to read more. Lately I have been rushing through books for reviews. I have enjoyed them, but I need to be able to sit down and savor the story.

What a rich blog. So glad I came this way, via a link from another blogger (Amy at Girlfriends Get Real).

We find great joy in the smallest of gifts, don’t we?

A newborn’s fingernails.
    A flower unfolding.
    Newly tassled corn.
    The smallest verse in the New Testament — “Jesus wept.” (Gets me every time).
    A postcard from an old friend that arrives at “just at the right time.”

These small gifts … they make life bigger.

You fed my soul today. Loved “chatting at the sky” with you …

We find great joy in the smallest of gifts, don’t we?

A newborn’s fingernails.
    A flower unfolding.
    Newly tassled corn.
    The smallest verse in the New Testament — “Jesus wept.” (Gets me every time).
    A postcard from an old friend that arrives at “just at the right time.”

These small gifts … they make life bigger.

You fed my soul today. Loved “chatting at the sky” with you …

(My apologies if this comment came through a few too many times. I’m having trouble submitting it …)

Part of the dedication of the last Harry Potter book is for the readers who “have stuck with Harry until the very end.” It’s a mutual gift – he entertains us and we let him live in our imaginations.

Two things to tell you my friend:
    1. Thanks so much for the Wizard of Oz tip—my sis and I are taking our girls tomorrow night!!!
    2. I’m reading my 2nd historical fiction book by Geraldine Brooks {Year of Wonders} and oh my word, she’s wonderful!! I dream about reading time!
    Thanks for such an inspiring blog.
    Hugs,
    edie

Are you already on book three? Good Job! I didn’t read them until I took the job at my school and they were free. And I was glad I read them. The world that Rowling created is so vivid and interesting, with rich characters and a dynamic hero at the center. And I love Hermione. She’s the heroine for every nerdy girl with frizzy hair who had the knowledge to help out.

13. deb stone says

May I highly suggest listening to the Harry Potter books on CD? The actor Jim Dale is the narrator and I am consistently blown away by his ablility to recreate the characters. I just finished #7 and I often keep driving just to hear it some more! The library has them and they are a huge treat for me!!

Oh there is nothing like well-spun tale! I’m currently working through The Fountainhead for June’s book club…and I will likely not finish by the deadline as it is 700 pages. Still, I look forward to little scraps of time I do have, just me and my story. I love your photo…it makes me excited because I’m getting ready to start Harry Potter with my 8-year-old daughter. I simply cannot wait. I think I am the last person on earth to read them.

15. Kristin says

I discovered the world of Harry Potter 2 years ago, at the age of 25. There is nothing like reading those books for the first time, and then rushing back to Barnes and Noble for the next installment. Enjoy!