gifts on a tuesday

home

The shelf in my parents garage holds little pieces of home. I’ve never read any of these books, but their bindings are comforting and familiar. Dad has books everywhere, stacked and organized by an invisible system. Sitting in his home office over Thanksgiving, he pointed to a row of books behind his desk and said those were the ones he couldn’t live without: Understanding and Applying the Bible by Roberston McQuilkin; The Saving Life of Christ by Major Ian Thomas; a well-read copy of the Bible; a few presidential biographies.

As I bent low to read their titles, I thought of how the words in those pages have mentored and taught him. In turn, they have taught me as well. Pieces of home, glimpses of Jesus, stories of truth passed on from author to reader to daughter and more. I couldn’t help but wonder which books I would put on my own life-giving shelf. I also couldn’t stop myself from celebrating those writers, in the quiet of the office, for their work and willingness to receive words and inspiration and for passing them on through the pages of their books.Picture16-11

Do you have a piece of home to share? A glimpse of heaven? A moment to celebrate? I invite you to do so here, either with a new post or one from your archives. Don’t forget to use the permalink and to link back here.

Comments

what good friends books can be… i’m not sure i ever thought about the impact on my life… even though i read countless books about how-to do… whatever. one of my favorites? how about kevin lehmans’s how to make your children mind without losing yours! oh yeah… i suppose that has made an impact on all four of the people living under my roof :) thanks for making me think a bit this morning…

I really love the way you see these little gifts (and sometimes profound gifts) in things that other people might overlook. It’s a good practice to have your eyes open.

I hope it’s Ok, but I’m linking up the post I wrote yesterday for the Loads of Hope event at Blog Nosh (I read your piece – it was powerful). Anyway, I wanted to share this piece on hope with the Tuesday crowd, so I’m linking it up today if that’s alright.

I’m off to my dear C’s funeral now. Two hour drive all by myself, there and back. The gift in that? Some quiet time to think, pray, be. That’s my Tuesday gift, without a doubt.

Thanks, Emily.

Books are amazing. The words, the authors, the stories.

I would have a hard time choosing what books to put on my life-giving shelf. Two classics from way back when in high school come to mind: To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee and The Giver, by Lois Lowry. Two books I’ve read countless times and find new lessons to learn each time.

Wish I were organized enough to have something to share this week. Alas, I am not. I’ve been at the cardiologist all day today, waiting apprehensively with my husband (who was even more nervous than I). And then the reports came back: good news! A few glitches, but all in all his heart is doing beautifully, just 10 months after major open-heart surgery. Thank God! And thank you for this reminder of the power of words, particularly written ones. You, my friend, are writing some treasures of your own that will surely have a positive impact on this and future generations. Please keep writing!

Books, books, wonderful books. Can hardly wait to have yours in hand Emily…will pray that you ‘receive words and inspiration’ and that all your writing continues to be blessed.

For years, I looked at the same thing – books organized on top shelves where we (five young children) couldn’t seek and destroy. In my twenties, I started reading those titles and fell in love with books in a way I hadn’t before. Now, those very same books are on the highest shelves in my house. I never really thought about that until I read this post. Thank you for getting me to think about those books again.