tuesday with ms. daisy

With the sun dipping behind the trees and the dinner dishes still on the table, I watched her grab her purse. As she headed for the back door, he grabbed his keys and joined her, hand on the small of her back. We’re going for a ride. Wanna come?

I couldn’t think of anything I would rather do less than go for a ride with my parents in the backseat of their non-radio-listening car. No thanks. They would just ride around, she sitting there pleased like Ms. Daisy, he driving slow like an old man. At least that’s how my fourteen year old mind saw things. What a waste of time! How boring!

And then? (You know what’s coming). Last week, I got old and boring. After The Man and I had dinner at a place I don’t even remember now, we got in his car and we drove around. We made a big loop around our side of the city, he driving slow like an old man, me sitting like Ms. Daisy, only in front. With the windows down, the air had a cool sweetness reserved for early summer. I was ever so pleased to watch our town roll by shaded gold by the evening light. Even the rundown buildings looked like art.

As I soaked in those minutes with my Love in that quiet car, I thought of them. I saw my parents as if I was in the car with them that day rather than on my bed on the phone with Heather, Bryan Adams signing from my red boom box. I saw them as peers for a moment, comrades surviving the battles of parenthood, lovers needing a little time and space away from the dirty dishes and maybe even the kids. It took me nineteen years, but I think I get it now.

***

Is there something you finally see as a gift? Is there a moment you would like to unwrap here with us? The guidelines for Tuesdays Unwrapped can be found here. In summary, link up with the permalink to your unwrapped post, or your link will sadly be deleted. I would also ask, as a courtesy, that you would please link back here to Chatting at the Sky by either using the button or a text link somewhere in your post. Thank you.

Quick note: If you are interested in submitting a guest post but did not get an email from me, send me an email at emily(at)chattingatthesky(dot)com with ‘Guest Post’ in the subject line and I will send you the guidelines. (And ps. you don’t have to have a blog to write a guest post!)

tuesdays unwrapped at cats

Comments

That is actually one of my newlywed hubby and my favorite things to do when we get a hour or so away from our children and cares of the world….

Emily…just wanted to let you know that I am taking a short break (of a few weeks or so) from blogging….it was a VERY hard decision for me and I hope beyond hope that everyone will not forget who I am when I return. But as you can see in my last post it needs to happen due to personal health issues and making sure I can manage my health challenges over the next few weeks while still being there for my husband and children and managing our home. Please keep in your prayers…I will still stop by Chatting at the Sky and breathe in your life giving inspiration as I have the chance…and I promise…I will come back from this stronger than ever with the amazing God we serve guiding me every step of the way! God bless you for all your encouragement!!!! Thank you for helping me have the courage to share my heart with you and all my blog world friends!
    .-= Mary Joy @ Snapshots from my Heart & Home´s last blog ..Leaving Blogland for a while…I would really appreicate your prayers! =-.

We’ve loved to go for drives for years. The kids always roll their eyes when we ask them if they want to come along. It’s been a great time for us to be able to spend alone.
    .-= Leanne´s last blog ..Collections =-.

What a beautiful memory and moment. I have missed Tuesdays Unwrapped while I have been on vacation. It was so refreshing to come back and read this post today.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..You Were There =-.

Isn’t it wonderful? We used to love going for country drives in the evening…
    before diapers, sippy cups, and potty training took over….

So now we take a drive on the couch after the kids are in bed…

just sit and hold hands and talk… and it’s almost as good…

this is a tradition from my family, as well. every Easter, after church services, we set out. not end in site, no directions, jut turn here and turn there, stop for lunch along the way. it really is a great time together.
    .-= patty´s last blog ..home =-.

When I was in high school, my best friend’s parents would take a looooong walk every night after supper around their neighborhood. Long, like a whole HOUR. They’d hold hands and walk and talk, and I thought, oh my word, could that BE any more boring?? What in the world is the POINT?!

Sigh.
    .-= Marla Taviano´s last blog ..don’t quit your day job =-.

We don’t even have kids to escape, and we still like to go for a drive now and then. Perhaps it’s because we live in a city, and sometimes I need to get out into open space and breathe for a bit.

I love your photo – as usual.
    .-= Imperfect´s last blog ..A Longing =-.

how beautiful… the photo, the memory… “getting it” after all the years that have passed. i sometimes wonder if a summer breeze and my love’s hand in mine couldn’t just blot out the problems of the world…
    .-= Dawn´s last blog ..realizing a gift =-.

That was so beautifully written…and I chuckled too. Last week, my husband and I jumped in the car to look at some land. The air was cool enough to have our windows rolled down and the honeysuckle smelled divine! After looking at the property, we ended up just driving around enjoying being together and looking at God ‘s wonderful Spring evening.

at times i wish i could rewind the years and go on that ride (or in my case, walk) with my parents. eight years back, my dad suffered a stroke that left him largely hemiplegic. he’s made much progress, and can amble around pretty well with a four-pronged cane, but they don’t walk together in the evenings anymore.

like you said, it’s taken a while, but yeah. i get it now.
    .-= nic´s last blog ..travels. =-.

I can’t express how much I needed to read this today.

At a time in my life when my children are teenagers, I hope for the day that my children will get me…not just as a mom, but as a person.

I pray that the day will come when “the wisdom” I dish out now (although, I wonder if I am even being heard) will be lived out and embraced in those I am devoted to, and love so dearly.

Nineteen years, huh:)…I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
    .-= imoomie´s last blog ..Oh, The Anticipation… =-.

Rick and I go for drives frequently. There are so many special moments tp unwrap in the middle of aimless rides in the car. Often we talk. Sometimes we sit in silence and simply enjoy each other’s presence. Other timeds we blast worship music and praise and thank our awesome Lord.

Yes, Miss Daisy.. let’s hop in the car and go…..

Hello Emily,
    When I read your post today, I found myself nodding my head in complete understanding. How things change as we become the age that our parents once were (when we thought they were SO old!)

ps…. I love “Driving Miss Daisy”
    .-= Wendy @ Almota Roses´s last blog ..I ? Faces — Play =-.

Hi Emily! I, too, have become “boring”! I love to take those slow Sunday afternoon drives around the town…or further with my husband. Your post brought back memories of dreading taking those drives with my parents, but now, it is so much different. I guess as we mature (notice I didn’t say “age” ha ha) we learn to appreciate the simple things more. Thanks for the encouraging post.

Living for Him, Joan

I love this vision you had of your parents – seeing them as peers. I haven’t really thought of it that way before, but it really does give me a different view of them when I think of them as a couple in their early thirties, with all of us little girls. (5!)

-elizabeth
    .-= Boy Crazy (@claritychaos)´s last blog ..starfish =-.

This is awesome. My post this week was about driving with my sweetie as well. And the view of parents as peers– I am starting to see them that way more and more. It’s good. So good.
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Livin’ Wild =-.

emily…that picture took my breath away. what you said next did, too. i got old today…just posted about it before i read over here. i love the eyes He’s given you to see…thank you for sharing this today. it touched something in my soul.
    .-= adornedlife´s last blog ..breathe =-.

18. Amy says

I thought a lot about your question, Emily. A lot. I didn’t want to dismiss what God might want me to unwrap. So here ’tis…by God’s grace…

I have lived my whole life with pain and heartache for who my earthly father was not. I have been disappointed that this “man of God” would choose to “preach at me” instead of just get to know me and let me be a kid, and who expected me to see everything in such a big, God-speak and holy way. My recent journey has been to bring me on the other side of the pain, closer to freedom. In that I have experienced God’s heart to love my father and see him as a real person, so not perfect, but who has a heart for God and to share God with everyone he meets and who isn’t aware that some folks just aren’t where he’s at in his journey and who just might not understand all his God-speak. Seemingly out of the clear blue sky, on a regular-ol’-never-had-this-day-before Tuesday, God dropped a bomb shell on my heart. I suddenly became thankful that my father cared (cares) so much for my life (and others, but I’m talking about me here) that he presses on in telling me (and so many others) about God. He’s trying to figure it all out, too. And it really doesn’t matter, really, how he approaches it. I am so appreciative for the small glimpse of Grace that I experienced and the small sliver of appreciation I have received for my father’s heart, even in spite of his approach. How can anyone ever deny God after they’ve walked my road through pain to this side of Grace?! It’s almost Heavenly.

That’s a hard one, Amy. I can so understand your perspective of wishing he had been different. That stuff can be hurtful. It is clear that only God can bring you to a place of seeing things differently and even receiving those things you wish had been different as a gift. Lovely.

• Amy says

Yes! It’s a place where God tells me, ever so gently, that He is the one who judges and I don’t know everything, and nor do I need to. For now God wants me to experience Heavenly Peace and trust Him. Seeing things differently doesn’t dismiss the pain or heartache, and I believe God cries with me and hurts when I cry. But, He still is so lovely in every way and He brings beauty from ashes! We are safe in His Hands, and He will set all things right, in His time. And through it all, He’ll be glorified and other’s will taste His sweetness.

19. Jennifer B. says

What a wonderful post! I just found you and am so glad I did! My father just passed away at the end of May. I find myself so sentimental about these types of things, these days. My parents used to do the same thing… My husband and I have also done the same over the past eighteen years. What a wonderful thoughtful post that makes me miss my Dad a little more…in a good way! Thanks! I will continue to watch!