3 things to do when they don’t like your art

“Unless you’re running for something that requires a unanimous vote, it’s a mistake to focus on the frowning guy in the back of the room…You’re on the hunt for sneezers, for fans, for people willing to cross the street to work with you. Everyone else can pound sand, that’s okay. Being remarkable also means being ignored or actively disliked.”

Seth Godin, on his blog last month

Sometimes your art gets rejected. And that’s good, because all art isn’t for all people. If it were, it wouldn’t be art, it would be Wal-Mart. For example, sometimes people stop reading this blog – I don’t just say that because it’s obvious, I say that because every time an email subscriber unsubscribes, I get an email about it. The subject line says “Unsubscription Notification for Chatting at the Sky” and then it tells me the email address of the person. I got one just this morning.

The first time I got one of these, I felt totally rejected. What am I doing wrong? Why are they going away?! And then I was tempted to email them and ask. And then I started to rationalize it. Oh, they’re just streamlining and decided to read in Google Reader so they unsubscribed to the email. Or Maybe they decided to read directly on the site now. Those things could be true.

But what is probably more true is that for some people, their time is better spent in some other way. And they don’t care so much what I have to say. So what do I do about that?

Actually, nothing. Or everything, depending on how you look at it. The job of the artist is not to convince people to like what they have created. The job of the artist is to create. Your creation could be words, paints, crafts, music. But your art is in no way limited to those things. Your art is any work you are passionate about. And your job is to be passionate, not to convince someone else to like you.

Remember, it doesn’t have to be personal. I can make it personal, and I did at first. And they may even mean for it to be. But the great thing about having a mind of our own is we get to decide what we let affect us. Instead of taking it personally, see it as a refining. The words I put out are an invitation to receive what I have to offer here. When people stop reading, it simply means they aren’t looking for what I have to offer. And that’s okay, because there are others who are. If I try to cater to a broader audience, then I am in essence trying to please those who have already said no thank you rather than serve those who are wanting more.

Work like an artist, but think like a hostess. When people don’t like the art, the artist keeps creating. She doesn’t change what she makes and what she loves just because someone doesn’t like it. She can’t change how she works, but she may have to change how she thinks. A hostess serves the people at her table. She looks them in the eye, she meets them where they are. She doesn’t spend her time distracted during the party in the next room, calling the people who RSVPd no. She issues the invitations, and then serves those who show up.

And since we’re doing this, if you are one who likes what you see here and want to make it easier to read, you can click here to have new posts from Chatting at the Sky delivered into your email inbox, or hit ‘subscribe’ in the top right corner of this page. Simply choose the “Get Chatting at the Sky delivered by email” option. You may also choose to read in a web based reader, like Google. Either way, if you subscribe and then change your mind and unsubscribe, I won’t take it personal.

Comments

Thank you for your honesty and transparency. I also tend to be driven to please my readers, but lately I have taken several steps back and tried to write what was on my heart.

My soul always hears what you have to say, and I greatly appreciate your blog.
    Amanda´s last blog post ..Broke Eye Baby

Yeah, I think that’s a constant battle for all us online writers. It’s so anonymous (except the stats!) and so it’s easy to get trapped in that. I was a mess about it until a friend finally blurted out, “quit stat-stalking and just write!” That was really liberating… for about 2 months until I started wondering about it again and feeling insecure. I guess that’s just the cross we all bear as we bare our hearts for the world we don’t often see!
      Laurie Wallin´s last blog post ..Feeling Anchored Through Change

And I am wondering, do you get a notification when someone subscribes? Because I just did. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it sooner. I love your art. I’m just not a frequent flier. To anywhere. This way I make sure I don’t miss out. :)
    Laura´s last blog post ..Almost Whole

I hear you on that. There can be an invisible, low-grade fever-like nag of rejection that follows us around blog world. May it not be so here…and welcome!

Wow, that is so true, we choose to make it personal and that’s when it hurts. My little ole blog only has a few followers, but I know some of them never come to read because I didn’t immediately follow back. This is not a popularity contest for me. I am not a writer, I blog because I’m just a mom who is lousy at scrap-booking and saw blogging as a less time consuming, less complicated and messy opportunity to record memories. And I can print out my blog if I want too. (Little did I know I would get sucked in time-wise.)

Anyhoo, I enjoy reading what you have to say, but don’t always have the time to read every post and I’m glad you’re okay with that.
    Charming’s Mama´s last blog post ..Hanging

Good– this is good stuff. When you mentioned the option of catering to a broader audience, I was struck by the image of drinking from a tall, deep, cool glass as opposed to lapping from a wide spreading puddle on the counter. And then there you go with your hostess analogy– you’re pouring tall glasses, you’re looking me in the eye.

Thank you.
    Missy K´s last blog post ..The Soul of a Good Day

Smiles.
    So today I leave your blog with some good thoughts.

Number one: It’s okay that not everyone loves my words. If they did, I would just be a Word Walmart. lol. Nope. Not me. I don’t want to be a Walmart. I want to be some cute and cozy little specialty shop, a place that makes you smile and feel warm and welcome. Somewhere all about Jesus. Somewhere unique, inviting, and a bit quirky :)

Number two: I love the reminder that my job is NOT to get people to like what I create, it is just to create. THAT is huge. Truly. How often is my creativity stifled because I worry about what others will think.

Thanks for the great post. Thanks for the reminder that I am an artist. Thanks for making me smile. :)
    Kimberly´s last blog post ..Tearing Down My Have Tos

6. Donna Bivins says

Good Word!
    It is hard not to get discouraged – especially when trying to find a way to make a bit of a living from “arting”. Rejection is the first thing I feel after investing creativity, time, money – and very little sales of my wares.
    Cannot help taking it personally.
    But, “The job of the artist is to create” word will now be one I will remind myself of continually.
    You are such an encourager! Thank you!

Oh you wise worded woman.

Giggle.

I too am an artist.
    Of sorts.
    I forgot for a while.

I haven’t been blogging in a couple months, and just yesterday was feeling guilty for not writing anything in so long. Then i thought, who gives a poop anyway? it’s not like anyone is gonna jump off a bridge because i haven’t written anything! And after all, what do i have to say that anyone cares about?

Well, you’re right. There is someone somewhere who does. I hope. Can’t please everyone.
    So i’ll just please myself, and if anyone else likes it, then there ya go.

I am a follower of yours.
    I love your blog. I don’t always comment. I’m lazy.
    But i am here.
    linda´s last blog post ..Its gone!

I love this post – thank you! I’ve printed it out and tacked it above my computer. It took me a long time to realize the words are being rejected, not ME. When the words come from within us, it’s hard to separate ourselves – to take the ME out. Always good to have a reminder. Have a wonderful day :)

Loved this post! It made me giggle because I see myself in it. The idea that my job is to create, not convince people to like it (or me) spoke volumes. Thanks for that…it’s lifted a burden.

10. Tracey says

I posted today about a piece of art that I made and painted…thanks for encouraging the artist in all of us! i hope you like it…but if you don’t I am o.k. with that too:) Thanks for sharing your gift with so many!

I am right with you with feeling bad when someone unsubscribes. We recently had an email change and I did have to unsubscribed with the old address and resubscribe with the new on some accounts. Never meant to ‘hurt’ that artist.

love your illustration about the hostess. I was reminded this morning during my devotion to pay attention to what God places right in front on me, not necessarily what I am scanning for in the distant future.

Good words today. Thanks.

Thank you for this! It is so easy to get caught up in what people think but I try to remember I truly write for an audience of One…and He loves what I have to say.

For some reason, the art isn’t walmart part cracked me up. CRACKED me up. I’m going to share it with my artist friends.
    I loved this. I don’t know how much it applies to people who are “artists” in the scholarly sense. I was an art major in College and it was all about MEEEEE. Of course, I didn’t need to have people like it, I wasn’t using it as an income source, but it seems like modern artists are usually more concerned about self expression. In fact, when you become popular (ahem, Thomas Kincade), everyone in the art world calls you a sell out. And, maybe you are, but what I’m trying to say is….
    When I started writing I started getting freaked out about opinion. Writing is a medium that really depends on popularity for a sense of success. It’s almost like you aren’t a writer unless people read you, as opposed to being an fine artist (you aren’t really an artist unless you are full of angst and devil may care attitude) Unless you’re Emily Dickensen, but who is, really?

Anyway, all this to say…I loved it.
    JoAnn´s last blog post ..A Time For Frozen Treats in January

Hi Emily, I have been following your blog for a while now but don’t always read it everyday, no specific reason just don’t. However today I am taking a day to work from home, recharge, access, plan and frankly just breathe. I work at a church and just feel the need to do this today. BUT! I sat down to take glance at my blog before I got started today and happened to see your post and was intrigued and so I jumped on in and then I found myself wanting to read your bio again so I could remember your story, which led me to several of your post. An hour later here I am letting you know how much I appreciated and enjoyed many of your stories. I laughed and cried over the arrival of the dog and your fears and warmed inside when I saw how you have grown to love, yes I said it love that dog! This week at church our pastor asked us if we have a teachable heart, I would say you certainly do, finding lessons in getting and growing to love a dog! I also found great wisdom in your words about talking with teen girls. I have a 10th grader myself after having 3 boys. She teaches me so much about myself and it is a challenge to let her life be just that… hers. Your post on finding space for your soul to breathe is one that I will reflect on over and over. I have started getting up early every morning to do just that, but didn’t have those words to explain it. This is enough, I could go on but I’m NOT writing a book, just know that I am not sure why I ended up here today but I thank you, my life has been blessed because of it! Blessings to you!
    Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants´s last blog post ..Valentine Wreath Giveaway!!!!

Always the desire to be loved and accepted – even for our words. And to have them out there, daily, to be approved, ignored, or discarded – is inviting one of these responses.

If we write, then our words ARE us, so when they get trampled on, we get crushed.

Thank you for this, that even if we have an audience of three, and one leaves, we are about the creation, the worship of Our Lord, and the serving of Him, and “those who are wanting more, and not trying to please those who have already said no thank you.”

As you say, it is ours to “issue the invitations, and then serve those who show up.” It’s really that simple. Thank you Emily.

And today, I pray that God shine on you and yours.

all your posts are inspiring and beautiful and this one is no exception. i love that you write because it’s what YOU are passionate about. i think many people try to write what they think other people want to hear, and like you said, try to convince others to like them. thanks for a wonderful reminder. i can definitely say i enjoy reading what you write. keep creating emily!

17. Stacia says

I’m not an artist, I’m a social worker, but these words could not have been more timely for me. I am really struggling with being “actively disliked” and all of the guilt that seems to accompany that. Thank you so much.

“The job of the artist is not to convince people to like what they have created. The job of the artist is to create. Your creation could be words, paints, crafts, music. But your art is in no way limited to those things. Your art is any work you are passionate about. And your job is to be passionate, not to convince someone else to like you.”

Anyone who loves to create needs to hear this, I think – or most of us anyway.
    Thanks for reminding us.

I don’t “subscribe” because I like coming over to your place and reading it right here.
    I am also directing traffic to your place because I love it so much
    allie´s last blog post ..Baby Steps

I love love love love…did I say “love” the end of your post with the hostess and her guests and those who didn’t RSVP! (ok, that is a huge run on). So true…so good!

Life has seasons….so do blogs….some seasons I need to read on kind of blog and then other “seasons” of life…different blogs.

Sandy toe
    Sandy Toe´s last blog post ..The House That built me

Very well written post. I would like to throw a “hear, hear” in for the ‘don’t make it personal’ element. Sometimes I purge because there are so many people who I love to read and find myself spending days reading the thoughts of wonderful women and feel as if I am no longer living, but spectating…when I choose to pair down it is most often out of a need to find balance in my own life.
    Teresa@Where In the World?´s last blog post ..Presencepresentsthe gift of time

Emily, why are you getting those emails?! Turn that notification OFF, girl! Or don’t. I’m not trying to be bossy. I’m just saying that I don’t get those emails. That way, I can pretend like nobody ever unsubscribes from my “art.” :) Which, I know, is totally NOT the point of your post. Anyway. I like your art. And I’m loving this series about creating art. Good stuff.
    Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect´s last blog post ..Working the system

love this post, emily. timing is perfect, actually — i prayed this morning that i would feel more assurance along these lines — that i would receive something in that would help my heart feel what my brain knows to be true. and here you are. :) i hope from now on if i ever feel uneasy/insecure about my work, i ask myself the question, “do you want to be walmart or do you want to be you?” that analogy was great. also loved seth’s quote that you included. i loved his comment about wanting people that would cross the street for you. he’s so right. the rest of the people – well, they are just the rest. thanks again for this amazing reminder.
    Brooke´s last blog post ..Trish

YOU my sweet sister are creating very beautiful art for my heart. You were an answer to a prayer that I silently cried to our Father the other day. He answered it through YOU. I know..we know it is NOT about YOU – it is about Him but He gave you such a beautiful and unique gift and your are expressing just the way He wants.

It matters not how many…I know you know that and our flesh struggles with pleasing…You – please keep creating your art. You sing beautifully His song ok?

xo:)
    Tiffini´s last blog post ..Are you in pain I’m over @ Amy’s today

I think it’s possible I may have been one of those few who have unsubscribed:( Yikes! But, you’ll be glad to know it’s because I love clicking over here every day and having a look around. I feel like I miss things when I don’t visit your site directly, and I can’t seem to get through all of my emails on a regular basis. So, rest assured it’s not you, it’s me;)

As for this series on art, I can’t tell you how much the Lord is using you to speak to my heart right now. So, thank you!
    Kimberly´s last blog post ..Id rather be reading Austen

Emily, I needed this today. Thank you for this reminder to bring truth, passion and compassion to the table. . . that is the obedience of an artist. And my readers deserve that. xoxo Val

26. Tanya says

Most of my subscriptions in Google are in folders. Yours stands on its own because I read it every. single. day. I started clipping quotes of yours that are especially powerful to me into Evernote to re-read when I need motivation, but I think I am pasting your whole site into Evernote! Ha ha!

Your words are so beautiful, so inspirational & motivational. Feelings I have and things that are going on in my artsy brain that I can’t even figure out myself, you say on your blog every day. It makes me feel less alone, empowered, and ready to put my art out into the world!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your words help me immensely every day, and I am certain that you do the same for many others. Thank you for sharing yourself, for putting your art out there, for making the world a better place for artists everywhere.

27. Kelly Ann says

I’m loving this series.
    I’m an artist. Lately I’ve been more and more inclined to create what will sell. Because I want to buy new patio furniture.
    And something about that just makes me go “eeeewwww”. I might as well go clean houses or babysit then – I’m an artist in order to create, to invent, to smush colors, words, and Scripture together in ways that makes God’s word *speak* in new ways to the viewer.
    Not to SELL IT for PATIO FURNITURE! Ugh!
    Thanks for real.

28. susan says

Ya did it again, dear Emily. You poked something that I tried to sell myself on “it doesnt matter”. But it does. The hostess analogy is perfect-when I was “out there” I made sure I served my guests/clients well, so that given a choice, they knew all my heart&passion came with their care and chose *me* and whetever service/sale I was providing. The ones that said no purely on lowball contracts, the almighty dollar, no care whatsoever for quality&service&passion? Eh, dime a dozen. They never complained about the real stuff, just a cpl bucks here&there. I was worth way more than that, cuz I came with the deal. And the Fortune500′s that followed me around & made referrals? I’d take one of them over 20 of the others. I have to remember that, frame it in my head, NEVER forget it. But I do…and I wobble like a Weeble…and I cluck like a chicken. I’m not afraid of what I want to do–it’s the monetary commitment that terrifies me. And I can’t shake it. For all the knowing, that one thing of not knowing has me in a wobbly cluckfest. Oy. -s-

29. Sissy says

It’s funny because I actually prefer to go to the blogs and read. Something about the atmosphere that every background creates. It makes a home for the words that connect me to each writer. It’s like being invited into someone’s living room, where everyone has their personal style.

I am one of those people — I need your blog. You are saying the right things to my soul. =) And I needed to hear this…lately I’ve been so discouraged trying to please everyone. Blog readers, photo viewers, family, friends, myself…..crazy. Thank you for this timely message. I will keep creating. For the sake of passion. For the sake of art. For ME.
    Laura´s last blog post ..Getting Old

is it even possible to say that this is my favorite post ever?
    don’t go back and read any of my other comments cause I’m SURE I’ve said it before.

Emily…I swear you have a tiny window in my soul…and most likely, everyone else who is reading this.

I posted something tonight and doubted the whole way through.
    Sometimes, I get worried that if I write too much ….people won’t like it…it’ll be too much for them to digest.

YUCK. it doesn’t matter. if they don’t like it, who cares.

there are things that I feel like might jump right out of me if I don’t write them….that’s art..no matter who likes it.

that’s the truth and I’m sticking to it.

Loved the quote by Seth Godin. Read something similar by Gary Vaynerchuk recently about viewing stats for your site. He encouraged those reading to not look at them for the first year and then sparingly. I needed to hear that because I was a stat watcher. My wellbeing and sanity were tied to them. A sad place to be! If you are creating your art and serving your followers at the same time, you can’t ask for much better…whether it is one or one hundred thousand. From the assortment of comments above, I see you are serving your followers well.
    David Willis´s last blog post ..Pasta Ponza and Fried Jalapenos

I just want to say that your blog has touched my heart in a very special way tonight. I litterally just wrote an email (yes an email) to God. (i was too lazy to write by hand so I typed an email to myself that was addressed to God) I was at such a frustrated and down point. I am a interior desinger, turned graphic designer, who will one day hopefully turn writer. However that seems like foolishness when I say it outloud. I feel directionless, dry, and envious of everyone else whose lives seem exciting righ now. (Admitingly not a good place to be) Well I wrote my email out of raw honesty and frustration and felt prompted to go to Lysa Terkuerst’s blog, where I clicked on this link out of desperation to hear something good and encouraging….and all of your recent posts have been just that! It is so specific to how I have been feeling, and I can’t help but sit here and thank God for the beautiful way He gives us just what we need at just the right time. Thank you for doing what you do…keep doing it.

“The job of the artist is not to convince people to like what they have created. The job of the artist is to create.”

I literally gasped! Thank you for releasing me from that weight. I’ve been overly concerned about who’s reading, why they’re reading, how I can get more reading. My words feel like a burden because I am overanalyzing every syllable.

You have blessed me today!
    Melissa Brotherton´s last blog post ..who do you think you are!

Let everything be done…’unto the Lord’… this puts it all into perspective,gives all our efforts purpose and direction. It’s not about our egos..it’s about reaching the world for Christ…about glorifying Him in everything. He is the source of our creativity…the ultimate creative Being. This all puts the reactions of people in the right place…we don’t have to worry about pleasing people if we’re worried about pleasing Him…He will give us favour with people when it is right.
    Naturally Carol´s last blog post ..Spots and Daisies

Very true. I was just speaking to two friends last night, both of whom read my blog. The one was raving about a series of pieces I’ve done on a trip to Hawaii. The other was explaining how she hasn’t been reading the Hawaii pieces, but instead loves the writing I’ve done about the house. It makes so much sense that different people enjoy different things, yet we forget and take it so personally sometimes.

Great piece. :) Thanks.
    Shayne´s last blog post ..Barren Landscape

Maybe it’s the accountant in me, but I just can’t completely wrap my head around today’s post. As an accountant, numbers are what “click” for me. Everything I see can be translated to numbers and math formulas. Which makes it very easy to obtain a 9-5 job with a steady paycheck. For me, my art is a hobby that is purely for stress relief and fun.

But what of those for whom art is the only thing that “clicks”. I’m thinking of the painters, the sculptors, the weavers, the poets. People who see the world as paint, clay, plaster, or ink , for whom a desk job like mine would be maddening. Simply saying that “the job of an artist is to create” and that one needs to overlook rejection isn’t enough when art is your calling and you depend on that calling to earn your living. What do artists do when they create, and create, and create – but no one’s buying, and the bills are going unpaid?

Maybe I don’t have a right to ask the question, since I don’t depend on my art to earn my living….but it’s just that I admire “starving artists” becuase they have the courage to do what they feel moved to do with no guarantee of a paycheck. The logic-minded accountant in me just can’t wrap her head around it.
    Jill´s last blog post ..Clogged Sink

Hi Jill – I appreciate your perspective. I still think the job of the artist is to create. But…

I think the point here is not that ‘numbers don’t matter’. More, it’s that we can’t focus on the person who doesn’t like what we have to offer. We can’t change what we do to please him. We have to focus more on doing what we do, and seek out those consumers/customers/peers who are looking for what we do rather than try to change what we do to please the masses. Make sense? Maybe not :)

I loved this so much Emily. Thank You.

For what it’s worth, I’m one who didn’t ‘fall in love right away’ with your blog, but the more I read and get to know you, the more I like and am growing to love. I hope that’s encouraging…I think I would prefer people to feel this way about what I offer…

But it’s like you say, we really can’t control any of that, just keep creating, living the passion…it’s all for Him anyway, right?
    Abby´s last blog post ..the best I can offer

Just this morning I talked about this very subject at a small group presentation at a church here in town. One of the ladies asked me how I balance the tension between writing what I want or need to write, and listening to my audience and writing what they may need to hear. I told them about my experiences this fall, when I wrote quite a bit about the grieving process, and what that all felt like from a faith and personal perspective when my mother-in-law passed away. I told them that every single time I wrote a post about grief, I got at least one unsubscription — sometimes more than one. At first I freaked! I considered not writing about grief, assuming that perhaps people didn’t want to read a bunch of debbie downer posts. But then I realized that I had to write about loss at that time — it was so much on my heart, I couldn’t think or write hardly about anything else. And I figured there had to have been at least a few people that found those posts helpful. And I did indeed receive a couple of emails saying just that. So I guess what I’m saying, in the longest way possible (!) is yes, I get this! I hear you on this! And thank you for expressing it so succinctly.

When I first received an unsubscribe notification, it totally ruined my day and hurt my feelings. It took me a couple more of those requests to realize that I don’t need to let it bother me. And just to be sure, I changed my settings to NOT email me when someone unsubscribes! :)
    MarshaMarshaMarsha´s last blog post ..chamorro village market FOOD!

You said that soooo well. Thank you for that. Blogging does seem to be a breeding ground for comparison and self doubt. You kind of have to have a thick skin sometimes not to get your feelings hurt. I have had to tell myself many times over the last couple of years to be true to who I am. Don’t conform and try to be someone else. God made only one ME and that’s what I offer. Me…take it or leave it. Great post!
    Becky @ Farmgirl Paints´s last blog post ..The Thrive Project

I struggled with that big time, just two weeks ago. I posted a heartfelt piece on January 4th and almost immediately my followers decreased. It had me wondering if I wasn’t balancing my blog correctly, too much personal, not enough business or inspiration, etc… I was ashamed to admit that it hurt. Of course I rationalized it away the best I could in the following days. But I love how you said “…your job is to be passionate, not to convince someone else to like you.” Thank you for being passionate and sharing it with us.
    ~Angel

I just came across your blog, thanks to YOUR sister for writing about it, and MY sister for reading it and telling me about it. Gotta love sisters. :) I have to say, I LOVE your analogy about the hostess and focusing on serving those who show up to be served. What a beautiful thought, and an encouragement to me…a newbie at this whole “embracing art” thing. :)
    Katie Holmes´s last blog post ..Determination

This is a very heart searching post. Reminds me to ask myself who I’m writing for and why. I’ll be sure to make my keyboard and altar more and more. Thank You Emily.

BTW, I”m still unwrapping the days :D God Bless.
    Jeri´s last blog post ..Simple Joys Refresh

Thanks for this post. Since I am new to the blogging world and don’t have that many followers yet, I will keep this in mind for the future. I know we all get rejected at some point. Just to let you know, I recently found your blog and I am loving it. Tks.
    Sheila´s last blog post ..Hunny Doing Hunny Do List!

Emily….how I needed to read this post today…and on regular time, I’m late but on God’s time…today was perfect for me to hear this. I started leading college girls on Sunday nights going through the book “Crazy Love” and felt so disheartened as I found out about half of them dropped out for other commitments. The human part of me says…but you made this commitment and you should finish it and ended up taking it personally but when I take a step back all I have to do is realize that I’m not going anywhere, I’m committed to finish the book with the few remaining girls and maybe the other girls need/want to be other places. All I can do is offer up myself and to know that the rest is out of my control is quite…freeing. Also, in other areas it is so applicable…in friendships when you feel rejected and even at times no one comments on my blog…it’s not to be taken personal. Thank you for this…God’s timing is always perfect! And by the way…I haven’t “subscribed” to get email updates, but I do have you on my blog roll and read often! You are such a blessing!

Emily,
    This post is perfect. It’s hard not to get down on yourself when you create something and throw it out for the world to see, but the world (or at least those you see as the world!) don’t approve. Thank you for reminding me of that elementary lesson that I must review again and again…everyone doesn’t have to like what I do!
    Amy Sullivan´s last blog post ..Safe Birthing Kits and 24 Inches of String

48. rain says

sometimes people have many different email addresses (like me) and i’ve noticed that sometimes i’ve signed up for certain sites more than once. if i unsubscribe it nearly always means that i’m still receiving emails…just to a different account.

happy to sign up today with you. thank you for your posts on grace and creativity, especially.

49. Ellen Williams says

You are a wonderful artistic hostess!! I don’t subscribe but you are in my favorites list and I check in on your blog each morning. Your blog is like a citrus tree to me, bearing the fruit of the Holy Spirit that I can carry with me and enjoy when I need it. THANK YOU for allowing God to use you.

Emily – I say this in love.
    Go turn off those email notifications!!!! Right now.
    You don’t write for numbers do you?
    If you could help one person with a post would you do it?
    You don’t need that discouragement in your inbox.
    I have turned off all notifications of unsubscribing, unfollowing, unliking, etc. I know it happens, but I don’t need to dwell on it. I’m not going to change what I’m writing/saying for the person that already turned off my notifications so why do I need to see the email!?
    Turn. them. off.
    Jendi´s last blog post ..Promises To Keep By Ann Tatlock

Thank you so much for sharing this perspective Emily! I found this post while following links around your blog. (which I truly enjoy, by the way).
    I think this is something that more of us who are trying to create something need to remember… I love the line about not being Walmart. That’s why I create… to make exactly what I want and to make it mine in my own way.
    Very wise words, my friend.
    Blessings!

Ecigs would someday replace tobacco-type cigarettes.
    The electronic cigarette is making the new generation of smoking popular
    all over the world. Also referred to as the e-cigarette or the e-cig, these cigarettes have seen a current rise in reputation by people who find themselves making an attempt to kick the
    behavior of smoking tobacco cigarettes.
    shisha pens Cheap Uk´s last blog post ..shisha pens Cheap Uk