tuesdays unwrapped

“One of the most important lessons I have learned over the past few years is how important it is to have time and space for being with what’s real in my life — to celebrate the joys, grieve the losses, shed my tears, sit with the questions, feel my anger, attend to my loneliness.”

Ruth Haley Barton, Sacred Rhythms

I may know the importance of holding the truth of my life in my hands, of looking at it from all angles, of seeing what is. But there is a distinct difference between knowing the importance of being with what’s real and actually being brave enough to resist reaching for what I wish to be. It takes courage to sit with the reality of the questions, the desires, the sorrows and the joys and to simply let them exist on the surface in the presence of God. It takes time, a willingness to see, and the discipline to rest in the midst of it.

That’s what we practice here on Tuesdays. We take this day, whatever it holds, and look for the gifts. Sometimes it’s easy and quick, the gifts bursting from every common meal and conversation. Other times, the gifts seem to be hiding under deep piles of dust and broken things. But it has been my experienced during this practice that we generally find what we’re looking for. Might you join us in looking for the gifts today?

We would love to read about your Tuesday gifts by inviting you to add your link below. Be sure to include the permalink to your Tuesday post. If you need help to link up, this page will hopefully answer all of your questions. Be sure to link back here to Chatting at the Sky so that others can find our community. Welcome to Tuesdays Unwrapped.

Comments

Being brave enough to sit with what is real and resist what I wish to be . . .now that is something I need to sit with for awhile. Was just talking to my mother-in-law about this. She is the queen of being present, entering life without expectation and being at peace with whatever transpires. I want to know this kind of faith in the deepest part of me. Looking forward to linking up with you later today.

I am hoping that this practice on Tuesdays will help me see the gifts every other day of the year. I hope to wake up every day and ‘be with what’s real’. Thank you for giving me a place to do that:)

thank you for opening your space this december… each tuesday is such a gift as i share and read and learn. this is what is real… and worthy of celebration!

I think it is so tempting to fill up each moment with distractions so we don’t have to really sit with what we are feeling. Thanks for the lovely reminder that doesn’t work very well in the long run. The brave choice, the healthy choice, is to be with what is.

Good morning, sweet friend. That quote up there at the beginning of your post? Well, I cried. We’ve recently made some tough decisions. I can’t even write about them yet. And we made them for that very reason, “space for being with what’s real in my life.” Thanks for sharing wise, few words that bring consolation to my sad soul.

man I needed to be told to stop reaching for what I wish to be. How do you manage to be such a punk first thing in the morning? :)
    I thank you. Seriously though.

You know, sweet friend, Tuesdays Unwrapped used to be a discipline for me. I would sit and think and purposefully look for gifts to unwrap, to savor, to cherish, and I would visit other Unwrappers and read about what they were cherishing. Lately, though, I’ve gotten lost–lost in wanting to do more, lost in wishing I could do more. Nester writes about BEing more and DOing less, and I always give her a hearty “Amen!”–and then proceed to run myself ragged, hoping that this time I can do enough.

Old good girls take a lot of re-training, you know? Yes, you know.

Thank you for the call to stop and breathe and remember. I love you.

Oh I LOVE Barton’s book! We’re reading through it in our Bible Study right now and wow, it’s a breath of fresh air! I particularly loved her chapter on prayer and breathing prayer. To sit and breathe Him in… what complete peace and fullness. Ok, now I need to go re-read that chapter :).

“Other times, the gifts seem to be hiding under deep piles of dust and broken things. But it has been my experienced during this practice that we generally find what we’re looking for.” This is exactly how I felt last week… and exactly what happened.
    Thank you so much for hosting Tuesdays Unwrapped :)

I wrote my post last week and let it sit. Last night I looked at it again and felt it was time to post it, and connecting it with Tuesday’s Unwrapped made sense. I linked it up to you here, but I didn’t get a chance to read your post until just now–long after I wrote what I did.

Yes, it is hard to rest into Now. It takes courage. A lot of it. And He gives me everything I need for that. It’s hard to surrender into this and trust. So hard. You describing this like you have has somehow made it a little easier–though easier isn’t quite the word.

I appreciate you, Emily. So. Much.

Love the wisdom in the quote. Just yesterday I read “The Fir Tree” by Hans Christian Andersen to my children – the tree was so caught up in his dreams of what he could be that he forgot to be content and rejoice in his present circumstances. When he finally realized the wisdom of being content in the now, he was being hauled out to the courtyard to be burned. Ouch! Thank for this series and the reminder to enjoy the gifts of today.

i’ve gifted myself with one single hour at starbucks on tuesdays to play on and jump from my blog. i drive my daughter to a neighboring town 45 mins away for dance, and there’s a starbuck’s here. i love my tuesdays at starbucks unwrapping the gifts of the day and the gifts of others, found here.
    hope you are having a wonderful and blessed christmas season, emily.
    xo

13. Claire says

Emily what is the title and author of that orange book in the weekend post below … the one that says ‘Anything’? I need a new book and I would love to know what you enjoy reading, because I loved yours.

Your words: “But there is a distinct difference between knowing the importance of being with what’s real and actually being brave enough to resist reaching for what I wish to be” is so true and an affirmation of what God has been calling me to do. Thank you for being real and for encouraging others along in their journey. Hope to link up later. Thanks, Emily!

“Courage to resist reaching for what I wish to be…”

Oh good night. It’s like you knew I was coming today! Or He knew…

*grin* Are you sick of me yet? I’m like a spammer! Only not, because I’m a real person… Hm…