the most important item to keep in your pocket

When true things don’t feel true, the world tips a little on its side. We see the sky but it sits sideways and it seems like the only way out is either to straighten up the clouds with the force of our own will or hide under the awnings until things start to look bright again.

But when the things that are true also feel like truth? It’s like a southern evening drive with the windows down. And we drive past the grocery store where we buy the ice cream and the library where we owe gratitude and a couple of dimes and all those things feel like small characters in a great big story and so do we.

A good story. A full story. A life.

I’m having a windows-down kind of Monday. I feel a re-connection to the people I love most and a calling I’ve said yes to and how it all fits together.

Tomorrow it will be different, at least that’s my plan. Even though true things are true no matter what, we can’t expect our feelings to always be following along with them. So we embrace the gifts of the good days when our loves are in line and our hearts feel full. We stuff those graces down deep into our pockets, so when the days get heavy and the wind blows strong, those gifts sit safe close to skin and the fabric of our jeans, pocketed for a time we need to remember.

Comments

You said it well. Because while I tell everyone I’m running away from the house today. I know the feeling of being alone will go with me, so I’m depending on the good days, love, and friends to get me through. Not to mention the promise of more good days to come. Thanks.

I feel like you do today. It’s a beautiful thing, but like you said, the trick is knowing truth is true regardless of how I feel. So I will join you in the pocketing of these good things, for as sure as the sky is blue there will indeed come a day when I’ll need to remember.
    Kristen´s last blog post ..A Whole Lot Of Living

“I feel a re-connection to the people I love most and a calling I’ve said yes to and how it all fits together.”

After a weekend of She Speaks – yes! I enjoyed meeting you this weekend. I tried to find you again with Grace for the Good Girl in hand for you to sign, but never did. I toted it all the way from Alabama. But I’m certain God’s divine appointments happen at the right time and place.
    Jamie´s last blog post ..Resting in Favor

4. Sharon O says

Wonderful message of encouragement and is that really a picture of canoes? now that is relaxing especially if one is on quiet water and just letting the river guide.

I live in the city and do not have a car, but I did walk briskly this Monday letting my hair blow while talking to God. Kinda the same right? Love your words. They felt so close.

Yep, that’s exactly what I’m doing today as I get back from mountain top She Speaks to depths-of-missing-mom-all-weekend kiddo tantrums! “We stuff those graces down deep into our pockets, so when the days get heavy and the wind blows strong, those gifts sit safe close to skin and the fabric of our jeans, pocketed for a time we need to remember.”

It was so good to spend a little time together in Charlotte! Blessings over you and your sweet family, Emily.

I like this picture of keeping the good times in your pocket. Anne Morrow Lindbergh wrote: “We have so little faith in the ebb and flow of life, of love, of relationships…. Security in a relationship lies neither in looking back to what it was in nostalgia, nor forward to what it might be in dread or anticipation, but living in the present relationship and accepting it as it is now.” Your thoughts here remind me of this, that we can enjoy the good but not panic when things are more difficult or even just humdrum for a spell.
    Darcy @ Message in a Mason Jar´s last blog post ..Curator of the Cape {Gift from the Sea 7: A Few Shells}

We can’t do it perfectly. “Stuffing [our] graces down deep…” reminds me of children collecting *stuff*. And your words make me smile. They remind me of Jesus. And the simple life.

Rolling down the windows on life today, too. And glad for that grace.
    Amy Hunt´s last blog post ..the blind can see: a life lesson

“So {I} embrace the gifts of the good days when {my} loves are in line and {my} hearts feel full. {I} stuff those graces down deep into {my} pockets, so when the days get heavy and the wind blows strong, those gifts sit safe close to skin and the fabric of {my} jeans, pocketed for a time {I} need to remember.”

Thank you for helping me remember. :) I treasure memories like this, ones that change moments and strike chords.
    Rachael @ heldbyHishand´s last blog post ..My Weekends: Favourite Modes of Transport

I just “stumbled” upon this blog, and can I just say how filled up I am on the inside?! Some people were created in this world by God to remind others of the things we are most likely to forget about in a crowded world. You are a gem. Bless you!
    Joseph Parker´s last blog post ..Swing Ya Axe!