what I’m reading in November

Fall and winter reading always feels different than spring and summer. The first time I read the Harry Potter series was a few years ago in the fall, so every fall since then I’ve had an itch to pick the series up again. Here are some books I’m reading now.

Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton :: I wish I could attend a dinner party with G.K. Chesterton. It would be fascinating to watch him interact with people.

The Blue Parakeet by Scot McKnight :: I’m not very far into this one yet, but He asks great questions. I look forward to reading more.

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton :: I’m still only half-way through this one. I’ve renewed it 3 times at the library and I may have to turn it in before I finish it. Her prose is beautiful (I loved The House at Riverton), but this book is moving slowly for me.

I’m in line at the library for An Altar in the World by Barbara Brown Taylor. I think I’m up next.

Do you have any books or book series you like to read as the colder months approach? What are you reading now?

Comments

I just finished Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead. She won the Newberry last year for When You Reach Me. I liked this one even more. She’s a writer who understands the love of a great sentence. Every other paragraph left me with a goofy grin of delight on my face. Her brain thinks in the most amazing metaphor. The whole story was woven together so amazingly, yet so seemingly effortlessly. I think I’m her new biggest fan. =)
    shelley´s last blog post ..Spoon and Chopsticks: A Punny Pair

2. bethany k. says

I love Kate Morton! I cannot wait to read her new book The Secret Keeper. I usually read one fiction and one nonfiction book at a time, but I started reading No Other Gods by Kelly Minter and about a week later bought The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer and couldn’t keep myself from diving in! No Other Gods is the first of Kelly Minter’s books that I have read and it has been amazingly eye opening. I have never been challenged to consider what kind of modern idols I construct in my life. This book has been a blessing to me. As for Tozer, I already knew he was an amazing author. This book does not disappoint. I hope you are able to finish The Distant Hours before it’s due. :) Happy Monday!

1. Orthodoxy is Cory’s favorite book in the Universe. I haven’t read it because I’m sort of afraid that it would be over my head. But maybe I should try.
    2. Just read The Age of Miracles. Girl. FASCINATING. It got a little Debbie Downer toward the end, but I really liked it.
    3. The Fault in our Stars. Have mercy, I wanted to marry it.
    4. Currently reading The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning. It lives way up to the hype and honestly, it feels sort of wrong to call it “hype”. I think Brennan wouldn’t like that.
    Flower Patch Farmgirl´s last blog post ..Mudroom Peek and Gallery Wrapped Canvas Deal

I had that happen to me with the Lord of the Rings trilogy…started in the fall and read them throughout the winter in front of a fire. This time of year makes me want to start them again! Thankfully, we have the Hobbit to look forward to. Listening to it at night with our 11 year old daughter to get ready. I listened to your simple mom podcast last week. Enjoyed it so much…had to go buy boot socks at Target. Looking forward to your new book. I’ve been writing a long time for my eyes only, but just started a blog. Your words were encouraging and just what I needed to hear!
    Kelli´s last blog post ..The Gift of a Hard Story

I have read Kate Morton’s books, except for the new one. The Forgotten Garden was my fav.

I just finished the story of a blind man who walked the A.T. with his dog, but too busy to read since I’m heading towards the 50,000 word count for Nanowrimo. I think it has changed my writing life!
    Diane´s last blog post ..Hush!

I love Orthodoxy -you saying that makes me want to check it out and read it again! Thanks so much for the book ideas.

I keep a missionary biography going at all times. Right now I’m reading “Interwoven” by Ebersole.
    Christy Fitzwater´s last blog post ..Mindfill

I’m reading:
    The Poisonwood Bible {slowly.}
    The Ragamuffin Gospel {Again. And also slowly.}
    God of the Fairy Tale {with my Inklings Sunday School class.}
    Scandalous Freedom {Again. With our small group this time.}
    Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire {with my 2 older kids.}

Maybe I’m reading so slowly because I’m reading too many books at one time. I can’t help it.

Also, I had the best time listening to you and Tsh chat it up on that podcast. I was painting a piece of furniture in my garage and desperately needed something to listen to while I painted. It was fun. : )
    Scooper´s last blog post ..For the Mom Who’s Trying to Get Her Kids and Her Holidays Just Right

Distant Hours is slow for me too. Tried to pick it up and start over three times. Her Forgotten Garden is my favorite and I’m reading Secret Keeper now and it is fabulous so far. Reading Leaving Church and doing a book club on the blog with it. We’ve had some rich conversation. I wanted to tell you. .. my teenage daughter was hit by an 18-wheeler on Friday morning and nearly escaped death. She walked away and it was a miracle. We were laying in bed together, her snuggled up next to me and throughout this whole ordeal she kept apologizing for everything, even for getting me out of bed to go rescue her. I thought about you and Graceful throughout the entire experience. We watched the trailor together and I read your 10 reasons why you might need to read Graceful. She said she wants to read it. Thank you. (Maybe I’ll bring her to meet you in February too. ;))
    Shelly Miller´s last blog post ..When You Answer the Call Every Parent Hopes They Don’t Get

Thank you for always sharing your reading list with us!

I just finished Kate Morton’s The Secret Keeper & breezed thru it! Loved it. But you’re right The Distant Hours was a slow read but still full of beautiful prose nuggets here and there.

Right now I’m reading Mary DeMuth’s Everything.

And I have The Light Between Ocean reserved at the library.
    Caroline´s last blog post ..This is Reeve

10. Jasmyn says

I always reread Little Women in the winter months. It’s like creamy potato soup for my mind- reminding me of the richness of life.

I am a book lover to such an extent that mid-October decided on a book fast of sorts until the new year.
    If I survive, it will be 77 days with only reading the Word. It has actually been a great way to be less cluttered as I approach this season. I think I will actually finish my Bible reading plan this year…imagine that ha!
    So I live vicariously through what others are reading.

With that said, I do like slower paced books during the colder seasons.
    I usually re-read Rebecca during the winter.
    I re-read Mark Buchanan’s The Rest of God.
    I read An Altar in the World this summer from the library…I now own my own copy. Life changing is such an overused expression but it resonated with me deeply…on my short list of all time favorites.
    Helen´s last blog post ..be seen & pick one

12. Teresa says

I am in line at the library to get a copy of Anna Karenina – by Leo Tolstoy. A coworker recommended it so a number of us are in the same line:) A remake of the movie is to come out this spring which prompted the whole conversation. We will likely all go out to see that together too!

13. Janet says

I have a bunch of gluten free cookbooks that I am perusing from the library and I am reading The Grapes Of Wrath. I can honestly say I have been on chapter 3 for a week now. I need to pick it up and read. Interestingly enough PBS is having a series on last night and tonight on The Dust Bowl.

I love, love, love when you post your reading lists…I’ve never read Kate Morton, but think after so many blogger’s recommendation, I must read her stuff! I’m reading “The Year of Biblical Womanhood” by Rachel Held Evans, finishing up “What Women Fear” by Angie Smith, and also reading “The Creative Habit” by Twyla Tharp and “If You Want To Write” by Brenda Ueland. A friend loaned me “Blue Parakeet” a few years ago, and I never got to it before I returned it – another one on my must read pile. I have a copy of Orthodoxy and refer to it sometimes, but am almost intimidated by it’s dense and rich prose. Love the recommendations – thanks!
    Sarah Caldwell´s last blog post ..{31 Days of Playlists} Day 18…Worship & Meditation

My fall/winter books are definitely a different type than my spring/summer. About two winters ago I read books 1-6 of the Anne of Green gables series, and this winter, I’m finishing (hopefully) the last two.
    I love reading older classics (loved Little Women around Christmastime, too) in the fall and winter. I just finished Unglued, very quick and interesting read, and just before, finished “The Purpose of Man” by A.W. Tozer, whose books I love and learn so much from. I’d like to read Bel Canto by Ann Patchett before the year is up, as well.
    Happy reading,
    Sarah M
    Sarah M´s last blog post ..Visual Monday: Knitting

16. michelle derusha says

“What I’m reading” posts are my favorite! I’m reading “The Rest of God” by Mark Buchana and “Rest: Living in Sabbath Simplicity” (can you tell what I’m into right now?).

I’m a poly-reader — I read many books all at once. And I’m super Type-A about it. I have to read THE WHOLE THING. Or maybe it’s the people-pleaser in me. I’m afraid I’ll hurt the book’s feelings if I don’t finish. :)

My favorites, presently:

Anything, by Jennie Allen (which I finished, not out of guilt, but pure pleasure!)
    Glynn Young’s “A Light Shining,” the sequel to “Dancing Priest”
    Madeleine L’Engle’s “A Circle of Quiet” (which I’ve been taking in with small sips over the past year)
    Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton
    And I also just finished “Glass Castle” by Jeanette Walls

There are more, but these are the ones that come to mind right away. Happy reading. :)
    Jennifer@GDWJ´s last blog post ..Why We Cry When We Sing

I’ve never been disappointed by G.K. Chesterton.

Right now I’m re-reading C.S. Lewis’ amazing Till We Have Faces, as well as a “new to me” book called Keeping House, The Litany of Everyday Life, by a woman named Margaret Peterson.

fall and winter books are different than summer…summer reading is funny and escapist. Fall and winter reading, for me, is gothic novels like “The House of Seven Gables,” which I’m about to begin, or fantasy like “Lord of the Rings”, the aforementioned Mr. Potter, and The Chronicles of Narnia. Reading about creaky staircases and candlelit rooms while the wind blows and snow falls outside — one of my favorite things! Oh, and a cup of hot chocolate…
    Laura@peacebutnotquiet´s last blog post ..Pottery Barn Inspired Dresser

20. Ann says

Currently reading: Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis, Mended by Angie Smith, Life of Pi by Yann Martel
    Recently finished: The Magician’s Assistant by Ann Patchett, Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth, In Defense of Food by Michael Polan
    Looking forward to reading: The 5 Love Languages of Children, An Invitation to the Supernatural Life, The Fault in Our Stars, Everything, The Secret Keeper

21. janel says

I just bought The House at Riverton…I’m only a couple chapters in hut loving Morton’s wroting style.I also bought Sarah’s key and The Glass Castle both of whch i’ve heard good things. I am reading Seeking Him by Nancy Leigh Demoss for our ladies Bible study. It it super challenging.

22. Judy says

I recently finished ‘The Pastor’ – the autobiography of Eugene Peterson’s years in church ministry. A deeply honest, humble book. Also reading the beautiful, poetic book of blessings ‘To Bless the Space Between Us’ by John O’Donohue – tiny portions at a time – so as to ponder…