tuesdays unwrapped 2012

The book is due in less than a week and the computer decides today would be a great day to run out of space. I dared not close out my document, moved instead to save it. No luck – no more space for documents. No more room in the inn.

That’s a terrible comparison. I take it back.

I go into Finder to check out just how crowded it is in there and would you believe that not only do I still have complete copies of my first two books saved in my documents, I also had page proofs and corrected proofs saved as well? That means I had three copies of Grace for the Good Girl and three copies of Graceful on this computer, not to mention all the other hundreds of files.

And all the while I work away at this next manuscript all Save-y McSaverson, and my computer finally stops being a good girl and shouts enough, woman. Clean me out already.

I found the old files, moved them to the trash, waited the twenty minutes it took for the trash to empty. I do exaggerate, and I do know I have the manuscript backed up in several other places already, but one thing I do not do? I do not freak out.

When things like this have happened before, I have freaked out. I have run (and fast) down the road of crazy, insisting I needed a new computer, cry into the sleeve of my dirty sweatshirt, gnash teeth and hate everything. I have done that and then I have calmed down and done all the things I actually did first this time. Like realize it’s not that big of a deal, delete some files, and carry on.

I’m not saying I won’t ever freak out again, but I’m thankful for progress.

It’s Tuesday in December, and that means we’re unwrapping the lovely, the messy, and the unexpected. For me today, I’m unwrapping the gift of avoiding the messy and facing the unexpected without falling apart.

Now, do you know what is happening in me as I realize this is what is coming out for my first Tuesdays Unwrapped post? I feel compelled to delete it and share instead something about my family or my home, something to prove that I’m not a workaholic and I do see things beyond my computer screen, afterall.

But I think that would be a mistake and would miss the entire point of what we’re doing here in this space. This is your life, where you are right now, the things you hold in your hand. Whether you are in a season of work or rest, celebration or grief, take a moment to see where you are and not where you wish you were instead.

Taste the air of the moments that surround you and unwrap them here with us. We can’t wait to have a peek.

Comments

I’m so glad you didn’t delete it. I usually react rather “violently” to glitches in my day. You know, like the chicken with the head cut off scenario. Especially the techy kind and especially if my tech savvy son isn’t around. ;)
    Southern Gal´s last blog post ..Tuesdays Unwrapped

Oh, Emily. Thank you. I desperately needed this post this season. Wrapping up 2012, preparing for 2013, dreaming big for the future and wondering why none of it is happening (or even started) yet. I desperately need to slow down and unwrap what God has placed / is placing before me.

Thank you.

Having my almost 12 year old daughter beg to read Charlie Brown’s Christmas story before bed. I almost missed the gift because I was busy and tired and distracted. Grace led me to unwrap this sweet few minutes and I hope its a memory I won’t forget, an ordinary Monday night made magical. Thanks for this messy invitation Emily! Good luck getting the book out…
    Kelli´s last blog post ..Documentary, Anyone?

if you can keep from falling apart, it is so good! i love that you choose it!
    and i love that your beautiful spcae is open for our small sweet gifts. so often i think “that was a tuesday moment.”
    dawn´s last blog post ..for love…

5. Kim says

I’m trying desperately to get a week’s worth of errands done in one day. Before I started I made myself sit and read the day’s Advent Scripture: Isaiah 40: 9-11. My mind immediately started the humming parts of The Messiah related to these verses. My gift unwrapped today is to do my work with that beautiful music playing as the soundtrack for the day. I’m so glad I treated myself to the recordings years ago!

I so know that feeling. I overreact when something doesn’t fall into place but my kids and my husband and my God are teaching me daily how to tamp that down and trust and know peace and patience, but it’s a process.
    Gindi´s last blog post ..I Am So Ordinary

Emily,
    This series is just what I needed this morning. I didn’t even have anything prepared, but clearly, God wanted me to write it, as it just fell onto the screen. Thanks for hosting us.
    Amanda

Love your thoughts today! It is such a freeing feeling to know that we have OVERCOME something that used to bring us down even in Christ. Praising Him right along with you today. I’ve been working on the same thing, taking steps toward making that calm a reality.

As for the link up, I joined! Somehow my thumbnail loaded and before I could make sure it was centered, it was submitted. Maybe I was a little click-happy? Anyway, I don’t know how to fix it now that it’s been submitted.

9. Courtney says

My husband and I have recently started trying to get pregnant with our first child, and I’m beginning to struggle with the worry and the fear and the unhealthy yearning that sometimes accompanies this waiting time. In preparation for hopefully having a baby soon, I have started working part time instead of full time, so I can no longer use work to distract myself all day; instead, I’m faced with my thoughts and worries and fears ringing loudly in my quiet mind. I really needed this today:

“This is your life, where you are right now, the things you hold in your hand. Whether you are in a season of work or rest, celebration or grief, take a moment to see where you are and not where you wish you were instead.

Taste the air of the moments that surround you…”

I think this is a perfect 1st post to show the messy, ugly side of life. I’m so impressed you knew what to do & remembered it at the time, without getting paralyzed with the fear of ‘now what?’. I’m sorry this was your experience, but thank you for sharing anyway.
    April´s last blog post ..Five Minute Friday: Wonder

11. Michelle says

Wow, this is really speaking to me! I have recently begun to realize that I may be a bit of a drama queen…a nuclear reactor, with my family and home situations :( I have a friend that had the same struggle and this just came to her one day…Stop
    Think
    Ask (God)
    Respond (not react)
    ~STAR~ I’ve taken to writing a little star on my wrist as a reminder, although I still fail miserably a lot of the time, I think I am improving :)

12. Abbie says

- kids who are full enough to throw up lots when sick
    – slobbery baby kisses
    – sweet marriage moments amongst the hurt
    – friends, new and old
    – energy and washing machine to do the laundry