10 things I learned in February

Here are 10 things I learned in February, in no particular order:

1. Mae Whitman (Amber from Parenthood) played Bernice in Hope Floats. She also played George Clooney’s daughter in One Fine Day. She was ALSO the little girl selling brown bird cookies who wanted to go to space camp on Friends. You’re welcome.

Mae-Whitman-Amber-young-parenthood-2010-30450941-610-410

2. Hope Floats is a terribly sad movie, much sadder than I remember it being the first time I watched it back in 1998.

3. I’m desperately suscipicous that the high waisted mom jean is making its way back.

4. Love and faith are more closely related than I ever realized before.

5. Downton Abbey is NOT just cool accents, pretty dresses and calming music.

6. Facebook really likes it when you post photos of your dirty dishes.

7. The surprise of a warm day in the middle of winter does more for my soul than chocolate cake or money.

8. When an artist chooses to be generous, everyone wins.

9. I can, in fact, survive without sugar.

10. When people fall gracefully it makes me love them more, especially when they do it on national television.

jennifer lawrence fall

What is something you learned in February? (Clearly nothing is too insignificant to share here).

Comments

At dinner last night with a couple from England I learned “the” Downtown Abbey episode with Sybil (you know the one)…aired on Christmas night! She said it pretty much ruined Christmas. Can you imagine? With as horrible as it was to watch, can’t imagine if sobbing, ugly cries happened on Christmas!! (also learned Matthew was lurred to the States to do movies & such. So we can blame America for the finale). That’s what I learned in the final hours of February.
    Heather´s last blog post ..What (& How) We’re Reading {Exodus}

I love Bernice. That will always be her name to me, thanks to Hope Floats. And I completely agree with you on the sad factor of that movie. Buckets of tears. And each time I watch it, I cry one bucket more than the previous time. Downton Abbey – again with the buckets. Can’t something just go well for more than one episode?? As for what I learned in February, I think it is how to say no, gracefully and by the Spirit. Good stuff.
    Kat @ Refeathered´s last blog post ..Grace for the Good Girl :: chapter 8

#10 When I saw Jennifer’s dress on the red carpet, my first thought was, “How is she going to sit in that dress?” I didn’t even think about stairs. Or the bathroom!??!? She handled it so well and she’s only 22.

Never made the movie/shows connection either! Thank you.

You are awesome.
    Kristin S´s last blog post ..hope

That DownTOWN Abbey is actually DownTON Abbey. I’ve been calling it the wrong thing for a while now. Clearly I’m the only one in, well the world, who does not watch this show. I’ve learned what nurse-maid’s elbow is and how easy it is to snap back in place. I know – ewwww! Also I’ve learned much about Mrs. Noah. More because I have just considered her, I suppose. To me, the fact that little is written about her says much. Much! I’m desperately trying to learn from her and am starting to consider her the first Proverbs 31 woman. LOL!
    Just A Beautiful Mess´s last blog post ..Grace Falls

5. Amy says

I think when you put tiny stick-figure actresses in huge gowns with mounds of fabric it’s inevitable that one of them will tip over. : ) But falling gracefully can only endear you to people.

1. I realized again that God prepares you. He made sure I was very filled up before more bad news. Nothing like a Women’s Conference on Peace to make you feel…well, peace filled.

2. House of Cards on Netflix…is much more than I thought it would be.
    In a bad way.

3. Apparently the 15 previous times I’ve seen Alias were just to break me in for the 16th when I would actually enjoy it.

4. My husband really likes chicken salad. Okay, it’s not chicken salad. It’s roast chicken, mayo and salt. Did I mention LOVES? Guess I can put away more complicated recipes now :) #shakeshead
    Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D´s last blog post ..Low & Slow #2: Roasted Vegetables

Poor Jennifer Lawrence!

I learned that I need to watch Downtown Abby
    Birthday’s sneak up on you fast
    Warm winter days make me crave more
    Chocolate post workout is counterproductive.
    Lisa´s last blog post ..Let My Light Shine

Oh, I love this post idea! I am definitely stealing it… maybe on a weekly basis. 3 things I learned in February:
    1. Lisa Harper’s Malachi study is a great excuse to get together with friends on a Thursday night. You will laugh and cry — and want to run to Red Box and rent some old movies after listening to all of her movie analogies.
    2. Chips and salsa shared with your hubby on a Tuesday night will make the world a happier place.
    3. A gel nail manicure will last 3 weeks… totally awesome!
    Lyli@3dLessons4Life´s last blog post ..The C Word

Dirty dishes, who knew? :) I’m so glad you share things like this; I feel less alone knowing there are other Christian women that care about the Oscars, and old Friends episodes. :)

And yes, Hope Floats is heartbreaking, but so good. And the soundtrack too – awesome!

I’m with Lily that this is such a super great post idea, and also with Kayse about #9.

Thanks again. You’re much more of an encouragement than you probably know.
    Jen´s last blog post ..For Better or Worse, and Even Really Awkward Marriage Conferences

10. Denise says

Did not know #1!!! Awesome!!!! Love the warm weather comment! I am a warm weather friend. If I could I would never go anywhere during the cold months and I live in South Texas! And I absolutely love Jennifer Lawrence! That is such a beautiful picture of her sitting on those steps with the light shining through her dress. She is so real. Hope she stays that way as she grows up in the limelight! Love your list!

Highwaisted Mom jeans can not come back, simply because I’ve just learned the right way to adjust and sit in one movement so my muffin top doesn’t hang over the low waisted ones.
    Forget February… in this post I’ve learned that perhaps I am missing out more than I realized by not having TV. I will have to ponder that one! xoxo jules
    Julia´s last blog post ..Family Friendly Living Room DONE

12. Christine says

And Mae Whitman was also the president’s daughter in Independence Day… I learned – yet again – that your children grow up way too fast, sometimes in a good way, and sometimes not.

13. Barb says

YES! on #7. We had such a day yesterday where I had doors and windows open and it was so sunny and nicely warm. I was thankful for March coming in like a lamb. It gives me hope for Spring and Summer eventually arriving to stay.

What did I learn in February? I learned that as I spend more devotional time (and waaaaay less Facebook time), I hunger for more of God and less of the “social” chatter. Something I should have already known and learned. Why do I have to re-learn and re-learn lessons over and over? Why don’t I learn it right the first time?

Hmmm….. another list~ I Love Lists!!! :)
    things I learned in February~ 1) God really is all I need; 2) thinking about not having chickens any more makes me really sad; 3) I can be in a solid relationship without compromising my values; 4) how many true friends I really have :)
    Karen´s last blog post ..Psalm 25 Challenge~ Day 10/ 30

15. Elle A. says

Mae was also in ‘Nights in Rodanthe’, as Diane Lane’s daughter – one of my favorite movies and I don’t remember if you listed this or not but she was in ‘Independence Day’ and a hundred TV shows and voice overs! She’s a busy gal!!! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926165/

I learned that, while 30 is the new 20, you still feel Old if you don’t stretch regularly.
    I learned #4, too, with a sort of vengeance. And that I need encouragement, but giving encouragement does almost as well. For awhile, at least.
    Heidi´s last blog post ..The Cupboard, for now

17. Mary says

Thanks to Grace for the Good Girl, I am learning that I don’t have to be perfect and people (and God!) will still love me! It’s ok to have a dusty house and to make Pigs in Blankets for dinner instead of a clever recipe from a cooking magazine. My family will be happy even though I am NOT Martha Stewart!

In February, I learned that a little down time is good time, the best time can be spent just sitting on the couch with those you love, and that God’s love is truly enough. Thank you, Emily, for sharing!

19. Lynn D says

Something I already knew about Mae Whitman is that she also does the voice of Tinkerbell in the Disney films. Something I learned is I need to watch Downton Abbey, and eggs stain carpets . . . Don’t ask how I learned that last one.

Okay–that video that Sarah M. posted it HILARIOUS…and yes…her falling gracefully makes me love her more too…Plus that reaction. Genius. Hope Floats is SO so sad. :( Great post.
    17 Perth´s last blog post ..Friday’s Letters

Enjoyed reading your post and all of the comments – I started to just put smile faces on each one. But, didn’t. Enjoyed the FB shot of the sink and dishes (beautiful counter tops/sink/windows/view).
    What did I learn in February? My mind goes blank on the details – but more and more that learning is simply part of life. Falling down (not glamorously for certain whether figurative or literal) and getting back up is all part of it.
    Enjoyed the post and comments. Til another time, Jenn
    Jenn´s last blog post ..You know how I love looking up and out …

22. Belinda says

I learned this morning that even though I don’t see miracles very often, God still does them. I saw one today – and I was amazed at the way God will move and rearrange events while He’s working. He is awesome and mighty – and He is LOVE.