let’s share the things we learned in June

At the end of each month I like to share a few things I’ve learned. Sometimes it’s educational and informative but usually not. Usually I’ve discovered a quirk I didn’t know I had or a fascinating-to-me celebrity connection. It’s a mishmash of ordinary life stuff, things that may go unnoticed if I didn’t decide to write them down.

This month, at the suggestion of a reader, I decided to invite you all to share what you learned in June as well – you can do that at the bottom of this post. Here are 9 things I learned in June in no particular order:

9 things I learned in June

1. John and I like to watch Alaska: The Last Frontier on the Discovery Channel. The show documents the Kilcher family and their life on their homestead. We watched all last season but I didn’t learn until this month that Jewel is Kilcher. Who-will-sa-aave your-soul Jewel! My-hands-are-small-I-know Jewel! These-foolish-games-are-tearing-me-apart Jewel!

My mind exploded. And then I had the great pleasure of calling my sister and telling her this fantastic and interesting news, and I sat on the phone for ten full minutes listening to her say No. No way! How did we not know this? And then googling Jewel and Atz Lee and what not. It was a good day.

2. I watched Oz the Great and Powerful with the kids a few weeks ago and learned, while watching the extras at the end of the DVD, that Walt Disney was so encouraged by the response to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937 that he wanted to make one of the Oz books into a film.  But he was too late because MGM bought the rights first. I wonder how the film would have been different if Disney got his hands on it first.

oz the great and powerful

3. After watching Oz the Great and Powerful, I realized a little bit of Michelle Williams makes up for a lot of James Franco.

4. If I am at a wedding (let’s just say) and it gets late at night and I’ve had a little too much chocolate with a side of a small crowd of people, I start to talk way more than is necessary. And I might babble or be irrationally chatty and over-explain my jokes that weren’t funny the first time because I’m just. so. tired. And did I mention how hot it is? No? It’s hot (let’s just say). And I feel chaotic and twirly on the inside – like Monica when her mom was coming to visit – and I fluff moments in the conversation the way she fluffed the pillows on the sofa and all that nervous, meaningless energy needs to just stop.

To narrow this one down? I learned in June that when I am tired and hot and over-peopled, I get hyper and chatty. It’s odd.

5. Coffeeology on Tate in Greensboro has the best chai tea latte I have ever had.

6. After cleaning out my closet, I’ve realized it’s possible I’ve taken the Emily you look good in green! comments a little too far.

9032573815_91d6a9c42b_o

7. It is officially impossible for me to re-train myself to hold the steering wheel at 7 and 4. They always creep back to 10 and 2 (or 6 and nothing, if I’m being honest). (See things I learned in May).

8. Lindt’s Dark Chocolate with a touch of Sea Salt. There are no words.

9. The word unctionNot be be confused gumptionNot that I did that or anything.

Now it’s your turn. Simply write a post listing some of the things you learned this month and link up to them here. You’re welcome to invite your readers to join in by including a link back here. These are fun posts to write and I look forward to reading yours! (If you’re using a reader, you may need to click over to see the links).

Comments

Hahaha! I’m cracking up at #4 because 1. I completely relate and 2. I wrote about being over-peopled a few days ago and learned that apparently there is plenty of over-peopled empathy on the internet to go around. :)

I’m on a Whole 14 at the moment (which is a Whole 30 brush-up) so #8 kinda makes me want to cry. But it also makes me silly grin at your discovery, because…amazing. That sea salt flavor tastes exactly like the from-scratch brownie batter my mom used to make when we were kids. Swooning at the memory, and I’m not even the one who got to enjoy the chocolate!
    Anne Bogel´s last blog post ..10 things I learned in June

2. Abbigail says

I learned in June that I am just old enough that if I play floor hockey with our youth on Wednesday nights, I will end up at the chiropractor on Thursday afternoon.

Chocolate and sea salt…WHO KNEW?!?!
    Not sure if you have Trader Joe’s where you are but this grocery store is all over in CA and they have a…get ready…caramel-filled dark chocolate bar sprinkled with sea salt! INSANE!
    I enjoyed reading your lists, posting my own and reading others at the link up…thank you for hosting this :)
    Mindy Rogers´s last blog post ..Things I Learned In June

I just had to second the comment on the Trader Joe’s chocolate….it’s AMAZING!!!!!! I can’t eat hersheys ever again after getting hooked on Trader Joe’s chocolate. It’s so good! :)

I had to laugh at your green clothing comment – my wardrobe has sort of devolved into a sea of black shirts and striped shirts and there’s no one to blame but myself! Also, I totally get overly hyper and chatty when I’m tired in social situations. Playing along on my blog!
    Jen E @ mommablogsalot´s last blog post ..Things I’ve Learned in June.

5. Barbara says

I learned to tell the difference between a boy and girl guinea pig! I will leave it at that:) This was learned this morning so I am still a bit…traumatized!! lol I just hope this was “learned” in time. My boys (and by that I mean “I”) don’t need another little guinea to take care of.

Yes, and i just bought a Lindt dark chocolate with a touch of sea salt an hour ago. I am going to spend a few days writing at the lake. Probably not much walking going on since it looks like more rain is coming our way. :(

Thanks Emily!

I still refuse to switch to 7 and 4. I do not understand how that was determined to be safer and give more control of the vehicle.

I learned that you can put your pillows in the washing machine and dryer and get the yellow out of them….. That blew my mind…Although I am still a little scared to actually throw my pillows in the washer for fear of ruining them.

Too much chocolate and dancing and grape juice (ahem) makes me speak French. Totally unnecessary and embarrassing.

My link talks about what I learned when I had to get my house ready for an IKEA magazine photo shoot. Helped me accept some things that I did not like about my place…helped me see beauty in the moment, all that sort of warm fuzzy-stuff. What I really learned is that I am a slob. :O This is fun! Thanks for the linkytime!
    Laura´s last blog post ..you are the book that holds my secrets

9. Jody says

Well, in June I learned about this blog from a random “share” on facebook (the one about things your daughter needs to hear), which led me to read “Grace for the Good Girl”, which totally rocked my world because I AM a recovering good girl and could never find the words to put to my “disorder”, so big THANK YOU for that, and then that led me to (in)courage because I could just not get enough and so I learned there is a whole world full of “good” girls learning to live by grace. Oh, I also discovered my favorite ice cream is Bruster’s Sea Salt Caramel. :)

So, I never took a “how to actually have a blog” tutorial, so can someone help me out? I pasted the link to this page on my blog entry, but I don’t see my little name/icon showing on this long list on Emily’s page. Is there something simple that I did wrong?

And to the woman who is learning the differences about guinea pigs…I will just warn you… baby male guinea pigs can impregnate their mother when they are THREE DAYS old. So separate those babies!!!!! :)
    Amy´s last blog post ..Things I Learned in June

• barbara says

I separated them immediately! Up until this point it’s been “keep a good eye since I’m not quite certain.” Now that I know, he is in the bachelor pad! lol

Hi Amy!

So just copy the address of your post with the permalink http://gentlesunshine.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/things-i-learned-in-june/

(I grabbed it so you know what it looks like)

Then, click on the little blue button at the bottom of my post that says “add your link” when you do that, paste the permalink into where it says post and fill out the rest. It will then ask you to choose an image to include and then your post will show up here.

Hope that makes sense.

12. Christa says

6 things I learned in June:
    1) On Fridays I am always over-tired.. Friday is NOT the day to read things I disagree with which will just make me angry, meet new friends or do anything taxing in any way. I can just about cope with the groceries.
    2) My 6 month old daughter LOVES eating raw courgette sticks.
    3) There’s a really cool art exhibition on in London’s Southbank, involving herbs and fairytale houses.
    4) London Southbank is still one of my favourite places on earth.
    5) When the Pope delivers a message from the Vatican, it gets translated on the spot into several different languages, including English, Arabic, and German.
    6) You cannot bleach coloured garmets. Only whites. I am new to this whole housewifey thing!

This is fun. I too have a love for chai tea lattes. And have you tried the Lindt with sea salt and almonds? I mean, you’d obviously have to like almonds but if you do–amazing.

That’s a lot of neat things to learn for the month of June. I don’t record what I learn throughout a month, nor could I possibly begin to try and remember everything (or anything for that matter.) I’m sure I’ve learned a lot though. :)
    This is such a wonderful idea. If you continue to do it, I’m sure many people like me will enjoy reading these posts. Now to go visit the other posts that linked up. Thank you for the source of great entertainment.
    Crystal Green´s last blog post ..It’s All About Broadband Blue Internet Right Now

so nuts about Jewel! What a crazy life story! I also relate with #4. I overeat in nervous social situations which increases the chatty and I always get in the car and think – what is wrong with me! There was an incident involving too many chocolate chip cookies and a spades game where I shouted at my partner “Lay down any card! ANNNNYYYY card!” and then lost the hand.
    Kate Craig´s last blog post ..16 weeks

I failed yet again at this assignment. Another month.

BUT, because I took a Church History seminary class, I learned the word “unction” too! I had to call my formerly-Catholic mom to ask.
    Kristin S´s last blog post ..50 things…

#4 made me laugh. I’d have almost the opposite reaction. I’ve been known to get a pillow and get on the floor behind the couch and have a good ol’ nap. I can only take so much togetherness, food overload, and noise.
    #6–Just WHAT are you doing taking a picture of my closet???? Seriously, it has just gotten to be a joke in our family because I own so much in the greenish-turquoise family. I often hear, “Do you think there’s a trend developing here?”

Emily, I love this!! I hope you are going to make it a monthly thing because I am going to try and start a list for July, so I don’t have to think so hard about what I learned! Besides I think it will help me to see some hidden blessings during the month! Thank you!
    Mary´s last blog post ..What I learned in June…

19. Catherine D. says

I don’t have a blog, but here’s a few things I learned in June (I liked the challenge).
    1. There’s an app for that! I recently spent the night away from home and missed our “noise machine.” I found out the next morning (after sleeping restlessly all night long), that there’s a FREE app for that – Sleep Machine (Sleep Machine Lite by Sleep Soft LLC). It has my favorite soune – white noise. But it also has rain, ocean, crickets, and other noises that some of you might enjoy.

2. Sitting around a table, beading with other ladies (most of whom don’t have a crafty bone in their body) is fun and turns out some really beautiful bracelets!
    3. Roasted Broccoli is really yummy!

4. Playing Dropwords on the Kindle is addictive.
    5. After having lots of technical difficulties with internet exploreer, I started using Firefox and discovered that you can save your favorite sites across the top of the page – which was one of my reasons for NOT using Firefox to begin with.

Only 5 things this month. It’s a good start for me.

20. Kat says

I learned that merely having a coupon does not REQUIRE me to visit a certain store and make a purchase (gasp!).
    However, rather than let them go to waste, I have been known to walk into a Bath & Body Works for the sole purpose of handing a coupon over to a shopper and leaving. You would think I gave them a Lindt Dark Chocolate with Caramel and Sea Salt chocolate bar by their delighted reaction! :)

21. Casey says

1. Black bears enjoy tearing apart flower pots to eat: Portulaca, Begonias & Caladiums.
    2. I like quinoa, but enjoy it less now that I’ve been informed by multiple sites that the people of Bolivia no longer get to eat it because quinoa’s popularity means it all goes to market and is too expensive for the Bolivians to eat.
    3. Edoardo Ballerini is my new favorite male narrator on Audible.
    4. 8 cats is really too many.
    5. I am also too old to learn the 8 & 4 handhold positions on the steering wheel. I started trying soon after you wrote that in May.
    6. There is not enough organically grown produce in grocery stores near me.
    7. If I would do my calf and foot exercises before sleep, I would prevent wake-up-in-the-night whimpering cramps. Intending to do the exercises = whimpering. Doing the exercises = restful sleep.
    8. Sheila G’s Brownie Brittle. All the heaven of deep chocolatey brownies with all the crispy snap of a wafer cookie.

22. Mandy says

I knew Jewel was from Homer (Alaska), but had no idea there was a TV reality show about her family. We live 70 miles north of there…in Soldotna. I just took our kids down to Homer to go tide pooling the other day…lots of fun! :-)

23. Kendra says

How fun to read everyone’s things they learned in June! I don’t yet have a blog (that is on my list of things to learn in July), so here are some of mine:

1) When your house gets broken into and all of your belongings are touched and many stolen, you feel incredibly vulnerable, but as things settle down, a different type of peace and security emerges as you realize that there isn’t a thing in the world that you can’t live without. Even the laptop. (Although, I would have paid the thieves at least as much money as I spent on a new one to not have to set up a new computer and all that entails. Just an idea in case there are enterprising criminals out there…)

2) The Almighty is so amazingly good! I learn this one over and over again. Not only is His will for me “good and pleasing and perfect” (Rom. 12:2) but He will help me to achieve it. I thought I knew what He wanted me to do. It was a big sacrifice (huge! in my human mind) but after many prayers and tears and tear-filled prayers, as soon as I was truly willing to give it up for Him, He provided an unexpected alternative. Oh my! It’s a few days old and I am still reeling. “God himself will provide the lamb…” (Gen 22:8). Oh my! Praise Jehovah!

I’m sure I learned other things in June but right now all I can recall are the big and powerful ones.

24. Dona says

I have enjoyed reading all of these comments. this month I have learned that you are never to old to blow bubbles, fly a kite, or go rollerskating with your grandchildren. that the little girl who enjoyed having fun is still alive and kicking at 64 soon to be 65.
    and that when all else fails eat chocolate. Godiva 72% dark with almonds. best comfort food ever.
    peace 2 u .

Oh, Emily, we were Alaskans for ten years, and lived in Homer right about the time that Jewel became known! Yes, the town did love her. Even though we’re in Wyoming now, my guy gets to go back and spend most of his summers flying all over Alaska. It has a way of getting into your soul.
    Carmella´s last blog post ..To Celebrate Freedom

So glad this linky was still open this week! I do think this is a marvelous idea.

For the record, you really DO look good in green. I don’t think you’ve carried things too far at all. Of course, green is my favorite color, so I might not be completely unbiased.

What I learned in June was not one bit fun, but July is already shaping up to be better. For instance, in July I’ve already learned that your new book will be released on November 1! That’s only four months away!! So excited for you.
    Richella Parham´s last blog post ..What you don’t know can hurt you

Love this! Was away at camp this past week so I missed the linkup but I’ll make sure to post next month!

In regards to #4, my mom took a personalities in the workplace type course and learned that when we’re really tired/stressed we flip personalities. So for example, I’m an INTJ so I’d become an ESFP I think. It’s a weird thought, but kind of true.

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading
    it, you will be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will often come back from now on.
    I want to encourage you to continue your great work, have a nice evening!
    www´s last blog post ..www

Amazing blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost
    on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform
    like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m
    completely confused .. Any recommendations?
    Kudos!
    host domain´s last blog post ..host domain

The battery compartment is on the other ear cup and
    it is sufficiently difficult to remove in order to make it unlikely
    that a child is going to be exploring what’s beneath it.

This can be a very powerful method of getting traffic and it’s free.

Additionally, Net Nanny also provides child protection by
    Instant Messaging (IM) analysis and alerting, social network-reporting in addition to chat
    rooms and newsgroups access management.
    telephone service´s last blog post ..telephone service

I do not know if it’s just me or if everybody else experiencing problems with your website.
    It appears as if some of the written text on your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please
    comment and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This might be a issue with my internet browser because I’ve
    had this happen before. Appreciate it
    Lift Cargo´s last blog post ..Lift Cargo