let’s share the things we learned in August

At the end of each month I like to share a few things I’ve learned. Sometimes it’s educational and informative but usually not.

what we learned in august

Usually I’ve discovered a quirk I didn’t know I had or a fascinating-to-me celebrity connection. It’s a mishmash of ordinary life stuff, things that may go unnoticed if I didn’t decide to write them down.

This summer I started inviting readers to join me and I’m so glad I did. These posts are some of my favorite to read – generally fun, usually lighthearted, and I always learn something I didn’t know before.

After I share the things I learned in August, you will see the “add link” button at the bottom of this post where you can share what you learned as well.

7 things I learned in August

1. How to delete multiple photos at once on my iPhone. I have over 2,000 photos on my iPhone. I know, it’s a problem. It’s a combination of laziness and ignorance. I don’t like plugging in my phone to my computer because my laptop asks me questions I don’t want to answer. Because of that, the photos are never downloaded so I just save them in my phone. It’s too many photos, but it takes too much time to go through individually. I just delete a few when I run out of space and carry on.

It’s no way to live. Just ask Sweet Brown.

But then last week I accidentally figured out how to delete multiple photos at once and I will share it with the 3 of you who also didn’t know this. Open your camera and click on your camera roll so you see all your photos like this.

how to delete multiple photos on iPhone

Then, you click on that box at the bottom of the screen with the arrow coming out of it. And when you do, you’ll see this screen.

photo-3

And from there, you can select however many photos you want to delete and do it all at once, like this.

how to delete multiple photos iPhone

I’m taking the risk of looking like a fool by sharing this oh-so-easy trick (and an even bigger one if you knew I just spelled “fool” like “phool”) but I have had an iPhone for 3 years and just learned this in August for the first time, so there you go.

2. It takes 3 months to clean the 24,000 windows on the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, the tallest man-made structure in the world. When they finish, they start over again. And even though they’ve figured out the technology to build that insanely amazing building, they still have to clean the windows with a squeegee and a bucket. Thank you BBC.

3. I don’t know the first thing about how to teach someone how to play the piano. I took piano lessons for over 10 years of my life and was even a piano major for a couple of years in college. But sitting down to teach my 9-year-old girls how to play Heart and Soul about killed me. They’re all, “What’s next, Mommy?” and I’m all, “You know, just like … push that one there and then that one here and then that’s it!” I’m the worst. Also Mrs. Pemberton and Mrs. Weston and every piano teacher I had in college? I salute you.

4. “Crayons” always comes out “Crazyongs” first. Without fail. I’ve been paying attention to this ever since I realized I type Christ  for Chris and Amazong for Amazon. (See Things I Learned in April).

5. In August, I learned about Ellie Holcomb. I don’t even know what to say. She’s . . . Here, just go here to listen to her new album and then after you do that for six seconds, you will be downloading it. Go ahead and put “Can’t Outrun Your Love” on repeat.

sarah masen

image source: sarahmasen.com

6. Speaking of brilliant female voices, I also learned in August that Sarah Masen has new music out. If you know anything at all about me, you will know Sarah Masen is one of my all-time favorite artists. I first heard her sing in my high school youth group when I was 17 – she didn’t just sing words, she sang story.

Her art has made such a profound impact on me that I not only titled my blog after a line in her song, Tuesday, I also wrote about her influence in chapter one of my next book.

It’s been a while since she’s shared new music with the masses, but she’s never stopped writing songs. Her husband David explains: “Sarah isn’t listening to her own life if she isn’t writing songs. It’s how she pays attention to herself and others.” You can listen to and download The Trying Mark on Noisetrade. (My favorite track on the album right now is The Strangers)

7. August isn’t nearly as stressful when your husband is no longer a youth pastor. It’s been two months since we started this extended sabbatical (I call it something different every time I talk about it, don’t I?) August is typically a time of gearing up and starting a full schedule. For him, though, that isn’t the case anymore. The peace in my husband’s eyes is a gift to our whole family. I’m so grateful for this time we have – even though we don’t really know what’s next.

Now it’s your turn. Link up below and share your own “things I learned” post by clicking on the blue button that says add your link and following the directions from there. I’ll keep this linky open for about a week so you have plenty of time to join in. I look forward to hearing what you’ve learned in August.

Comments

Seriously?! I’m so glad because I thought for sure I was the last one to know this. I even Googled it a while back and couldn’t find anything so I figured it wasn’t something you could do. It really is a game-changer.

1. Erin in CO says

I look forward to this post each month, Emily!
    I didn’t know about the photo tip, either!! (but maybe by now you’ve found more than 3 who didn’t?)
    That’s something I learned in August :)
    Also, (true story!) I just discovered Ellie Holcomb this month as well! Heard about her through a YL magazine article forever ago and never put it together until I “discovered” her on iTunes a couple of weeks ago. Ordained, I think. Mercy…God uses her voice to speak to my soul.

Happy Labor Day!!

Love your monthly link up! Thank you for hosting! I plan to leave the window to your post open on my comp and each time I’m online, click over to 2-3 bloggers. They all look so inviting…..What a great sense of community and sharing.

Thanks awfully much!
    God bless
    Chris´s last blog post ..Theme Thursday~ “Shadows”

Thanks for the iPhone trick. I’m going to get right on that since I have a four year old daughter who thinks she is a photographer. My pictures are endless!
    Also, I’m so glad you have a new season with your husband that includes peace as you wait for the next door to open. Enjoy it, friend!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Jennifer´s last blog post ..What Did God Teach You in August?

I just got an iPhone earlier this month so I definitely didn’t know that photo trick! But here’s something that could help you. Dropbox has an app and it will save your photos and then you can also open it on your computer. No more emailing files or photos to yourself! Here’s my referral link: http://db.tt/ERXoBdsi It’s a free service but you can get more space through your referral link. Also, I swear by Dropbox for all my writing. I still back up WIPs in other places but love having Dropbox as my ultimate backup.

I used to love Sarah Masen! Excited to check out her new album.
    Leigh Kramer´s last blog post ..What I’m Into (August 2013 Edition)

Linked up for my first time, and hopefully not the last! This was so fun to put together, and definitely helped me at least BEGIN to get out of my blogging rut.

Also, thanks for the music recommendations! I love finding new things to listen to, and especially new female Christian artists. :)
    Tabitha´s last blog post ..Things I Learned In August

I couldn’t sleep last night, so I was up for two hours in the middle of the night! And for once, I had my “what I learned” post done already… and since we’re, you know… 4 hours behind you, I thought I just might catch being the first one to link up. But sleep won out at 5am. I so tried to keep my eyes open once I got sleepy enough to fall back asleep to see if you’d posted yet… but I just couldn’t. I was laughing at myself, because why did it seem like a good idea in the middle of the night to try and wait for you to post? I have no idea… I just thought you should know. This link up is so fun, thank you!!!

Numero Cinco here- I did not know that about my iPhone! I’ve been deleting photos one by one…
    THIS is what I learned in AUGUST!! YAHOO!! Thank you!
    Love your blog. I came here once again to be soothed by your design, layout, colors and words.
    And to see what ideas I could copy for mine.
    In Christian love, of course. ;)

8. Bonnie says

I didn’t know the iPhone trick either. I’ve had mine a few months but am pretty clueless. I told my sister just a few days ago (after she solved a problem of mine a 4 year old could have figured out) that if I knew how to operate my iPhone, I’d be dangerous. Keep ‘em coming, Emily. It sounds like there are a few of us out here.

I’m so glad you invited us to join you on these monthly posts. They’ve become my favorite pieces to write. They feel like a gathering of your favorite girlfriends on a Friday before the weekend starts, sharing all the stuff you don’t have time to talk about on the phone because you’re too busy. Thanks Emily!
    Shelly Miller´s last blog post ..12 Things I Learned In August

THANK YOU for the iPhoto tips!! I have been trying to figure that out for months.

And, sorry for spamming your link-up with multiple links to my post! I was trying to doing it on my phone (in the car, on the way to the vet…) and it kept being funky.

Love this link-up, both for writing and for reading!
    Jenn @ A Simple Haven´s last blog post ..What I Learned in August

11. Gina says

I don’t have an i-phone but I liked your photos! I wondered, though, if you delete but don’t download them then how do you keep the lovely memories? You know, the ones that aren’t of your six year old eating a massive bogey taken by his 7 year old sister that was a ‘surprise’ when I found it? I kid ye not! I laughed so much, I will probably frame it for his first girlfriend.
    I learned
    1) that once in 3 years is not enough times for a proper de-clutter of the house and have been doing it for an entire week now. The kids rooms look fab and I have found our bedroom floor again but still a ways to go.
    2) that mint in fruit salad is yummy but home made toothpaste, so far, is not yummy.
    3) that ‘mooleed’ means Kool-Aid (as we live in the UK this is a massive and very cool, occasional treat) and that is what my son had been asking for for days and days and days….
    4) that soap nuts are a great way of washing things.
    5) that my daughter thinks all mummies can’t drive, which is possibly the best impetus for me to learn ever.
    6) to make goulash, once with beans and once with pork.
    7) my husband doesn’t like beans. Oh, dear!
    8) to label everything in the kids bedrooms and in our home school room. This is the fabbest thing I learned because it makes it easy to tidy up.
    I love this series.

The windows, oh my goodness!

Also, I love that comment Sarah’s husband made. That is how I feel about writing, and blogging in particular. It’s part of how I pay attention to what God is teaching me.

Thank you for sharing these. Good stuff here! (as always)
    Cara Strickland´s last blog post ..10 Things I Learned in August

I LOVE Ellie Holcomb! I first learned about Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors when they opened for Needtobreathe. Fantastic sound! Then, my friend pointed out that Ellie (the wife of Drew) had an album of her own – Magnolia. Now, without being mean to Ellie (because I love her dearly), I have to say that I almost like Magnolia better than her new EP. I think once I get used to the new songs, I’ll be fine… But I’ve had both her album and Drew’s Good Light album on repeat. all. summer. long.

I love reading your “things I learned” posts and this month it gave me inspiration for what to write for my weekly meal plans post, where I always share a bit about my life. So, I’m linking up for the first time. And I may be the only food blog who has linked up here, but I read you all the time. I mostly just lurk though, so I guess I’m coming out of lurkdom too today!
    Tiffany´s last blog post ..How to Make 7+ Slow Cooker Freezer Meals in 1 Hour

I didn’t know about deleting multiple pics, either! So glad you shared that.

And SARAH MASEN! I had completely forgotten how much I loved her music! Thanks for bringing that back for me.

I figured I was revealing how out of date I am with my new love for Downton Abbey—and then the two random posts I click on to read in the link up BOTH have Downton Abbey mentioned in their lists (http://whataredaysfor.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/eight-things-i-learnt-in-august.html and http://zinniaclare.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/what-i-learned-in-august/).

Then the third wrote of letting your son go off to college, while my own month was so mired down in sending my youngest to Kindergarten. So much grace to be found in this sharing! Thank you, Emily.
    Deirdre´s last blog post ..Things I Learned in August

Hi Emily! It was so interesting to hear how you came up with the blog title and I love hearing about music-loves. I didn’t know about Sarah Masen — thank you for the share! I already gave her a listen and she’s great!

I know I’m a little late, but I hope to add my Things I Learnt tomorrow, as kids only just went back to school today. It’ll be my first Things I learnt too, but I love the concept…..
    The thing is, what I want to know, is how on earth did you take that gorgeous ethereal photo of your kids with the ice cream cone WITH AN iPHONE?!! What version do you have?!! There was I thinking you’d used an SLR….
    Siobhan C´s last blog post ..Silent Sunday #29

Hi Emily – as you’ll see, i’ve added my link, and you’ll notice I’ve launched my own version for my British friends! Hope you like it/don’t mind?! I’ve tweaked it to call it ‘discoveries’ rather than ‘learnt’ as i always love sharing things I’ve found, and these are mostly relevant to British life. But i also like the concept of ‘things I learnt’ so i can add those in too, makes it more fun/interesting….Anyway, tell me what you think? Its my FIRST blog hop! (Gulp)
    Siobhan@Everyone Else is Normal´s last blog post ..Things I discovered – August

Now you are going to experience some of my August and know why a blogging hiatus was in order! A LOT happened in August and with it I learned a few things. I’m linking up with Emily Freeman – Chatting at the Sky? to share (and yes, I’m a week late but oh well).

Hi I am so grateful I found your blog, I really found you by accident, while I was researching on Google for something else, Regardless I am
    here now and would just like to say cheers for a tremendous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I
    have book-marked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so
    when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the superb work.

Also visit my web-site :: public adjuster Houston Texas
    public adjuster Houston Texas´s last blog post ..public adjuster Houston Texas

Everyone agrees that more tests should be done and that the dangers of this chemical
    in combination with others has still never been widely studied.
    Many people would judge the food in a restaurant by looking at the tableware,
    dinnerware sets they use to serve the food. You will also need to consider finding your dishes in alternative places such as overstock and close out
    items as well as thrift store finds.
    http://www.myplan.com/community/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1957766´s last blog post ..http://www.myplan.com/community/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1957766