This Might Not Work

“At some level, this might not work is at the heart of all important projects, of everything new and worth doing. And it can paralyze us into inaction, into watering down our art and into failing to ship.”

Seth Godin, from his post Out on a Limb

Since my family and I first started talking about working together to host a gathering of people this fall, the first thing that popped in my head was that this might not work.

We wanted to host an intentional time of story-telling, music, and conversation; a time to poke-awake the art inside you that may be hidden under layers of doubt, discouragement and distraction; a time to connect on a more personal level with one another in a way a larger venue wouldn’t allow.

When we picked a date and began to give details and times to what had  formerly only been thoughts and ideas, it came up again – this might not work.

But you get to a point where having the thing work is less important to you than giving it a try. For me, not trying it at all was a worse fate than trying it and having it not work.

If you could follow that.

emily p freeman books

People who do stuff haven’t figured out the secret to doing stuff. They have simply decided to stop letting the fear of this might not work control their lives.

This might not work is either a curse, something that you labor under, or it’s a blessing, a chance to fly and do work you never thought possible.” – Seth Godin

at the barn prepAfter years of praying, months of planning, and lots of help, tomorrow we will host our very first gathering At the Barn.

It’s true, it might not work – it might not go as planned, it might not be what I hope it will be, it might not turn out exactly like I want it to.

But we’re doing it anyway. I’ve never been more excited about an event.

December 1 Book Signing

After an extremely busy fall, At the Barn is my last official event of 2013. But I’m pleased to announce I will be doing an informal book signing on Sunday December 1, joining a group of local artisans at their annual Handmade at Home gathering. It’s a great way to support local artists and find unique gifts for friends and family. We would love to have you join us!

• Sunday December 1
  • 2011 Medhurst Drive Greensboro, NC 27410
  • Drop in 4 – 7 pm (the event starts at 1 pm, but I won’t be there until 4)

Check out the Facebook event page and join if you can come!

Comments

1. Dianne says

I love this Emily. Instead of seeing “this might not work” as a fearful or fear-filled thing, I should embrace it with hope. I am inspired by your writing. Thank you for sharing your gift!

Thanks for this reminder. This week, I decided to suck it up and put something together for mini photo sessions in our neighborhood. I was scared I wouldn’t get any bites, but I did it anyways. So far, I have a few scheduled, and I’m really excited. I also got roped into shooting a wedding, last minute. Yikes!

So here we go–lots of praying and wishing, finally a little bit of doing, and we’re off. It’s scary exciting. Can’t wait to hear about your event! I wish Texas was closer to you!
    Shay´s last blog post ..Mini Sessions Now Available for $50

Oh, but it might. It just might. And I’m so proud of you for overcoming the might-nots!

Reading this made me think of one of my favorite Emily Dickinson poems , so I thought I’d share it with you:

You might not need me, but you might;
    I’ll let my head be just in sight.
    A smile as small as mine might be
    Precisely your necessity.

Love you!
    Richella Parham´s last blog post ..Thanksgiving decor

Funny you wrote about this for today (I mean not really because The Barn is tomorrow). I wrote a confession(ish) on my blog which ties into this today: “When people start things, they don’t do it because they are necessarily ready. They don’t do it because they have all the answers to every question or because they have some guarantee of success from an invisible authority.

I feel like it’s some cool “same wave length” stuff. Looking forward to The Barn tomorrow!
    Rachel´s last blog post ..For the dreamers, the haters, the doubters, the wonderers

I’ve spent much of my life in the “this might not work”… frozen and afraid to try. But as I grow older, I’m learning that flying, albeit terrifying at times, is so much more fun and it brings such freedom and life! Loved this post, Emily. Enjoy your gathering at the barn!
    Jenny Barker´s last blog post ..Burn Bright

6. Kelli says

Blessings on your weekend! I have a feeling this will be the exact opposite of “not working”….can’t wait to hear all about it!

What a beautiful reflection! There is a quote that I see circulating around on Pinterest that says, “I’d rather have a life of ‘oh well’s’ than a life of ‘what if’s.’ ” I have no idea who it should be attributed to, but it has served as a good reminder to me that it is better to try and not have things turn out the way I expected than to never try.

Sending you and your family blessings and prayers as you find out how this amazing idea does, indeed, work. =)
    lee´s last blog post ..celebrating birthdays the homemade way

8. Crystal says

I’m venturing into a new career path–one that I feel God is calling me to. Or pushing me into…and I’m thrilled out of my skin! But there are still many unknowns, and I’m not really an expert (what if they find out?!), and it might not work. But I’m taking the lead, stepping out anyway. Thanks for the encouragement and for putting a name on that fear that’s been stirring up.

“People who do stuff haven’t figured out the secret to doing stuff. They have simply decided to stop letting the fear of this might not work control their lives.”

I LOVED this. It ministers to my spirit as I step out and pursue a dream of my own. No, I do not have it figured out, but that is not going to stop me.

Truth: “It might not work…” But that is awesomely OK!
    is awesomely a word? Well, for me, right now it is!!

Yes, it worked! God spoke to so many of us because you and your family stepped out in faith to create the environment to allow it to happen. I came expecting Him to move in my heart and he did. Thank you!

Oh this is good stuff here Emily! And thank you Seth Godin. When a plan starts with “this might not work” doesn’t it just get your heart pounding? I used to let this freak me out. But now I know that in moments like that God has me right where he wants me. The unkown, the risk, the lack of full control, and the dependence completely on Him to see it through! Often, for me, things work out differently than I planned. But Oh SOO much better than how I planned it! He is so Good! :)
    Jules – Eyes Wide. Heart Deep