Listening in the Silence

how silentlySilence helps us learn to listen. Phileena Heuertz said that. I’m sure many others have said it too, but this is where I heard it most recently. Learning to listen in the silence gives me strength to move into a regular noise of the day.

Sometimes music helps, too. Every December, we listen to Sarah McLachlan’s Wintersong. Her version of O Little Town of Bethlehem is one of my favorites. Her voice echoes with a longing I can’t shake – and so I don’t try to.

Comments

1. Connie says

Martina McBride’s rendition of What Child is This has the same effect on me.

I love the silence of the morning when it’s just me, and a hot cup of coffee – the Christmas tree lights twinkling, my beagles snuggling – and my God wrapping me in a blanket of His love.

Listening in the Silence…
    This is too powerful, and too heavy, so a lot-folded.
    The best powerful thing we ever have TO DO, and God wants us to do– be Silent, for it goes with listening. Listening is Paying attention, paying attention= obedient= humble. This is all that is required- Humbling ourselves, and in due time He lifts us up. We remain in the silence, for that’s where God wants us to be, and then at the right time He will lead us to speak; And when you speak at God’s appointed time, I can assure you- you speak Life (streams of life, you speak divine truths and revelations)
    ‘Silent’ is one word as ‘Listen’; just rearranged. God wants us to ‘Listen’, and that is possible when we are Silent.

I say it’s one thing that God wants us to do, because He says it in His word. James1:19 ‘we must be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger.
    Solomon says ‘even a silent fool, is considered wise, when he closes his lips he is deemed intelligent’ Prov17:28

But we have gone to think that wisdom comes from saying /speaking. But one does not need to have a say to be wise…. Silence is wisdom.
    Solomon, the wisest of the wise, says “Wisdom is standing on street corners, market places, She cries at the head of intersection (in the chief gathering places); She is calling out(Prov 1:20). … Silence is calling out.

We have spoken a lot and lost the sense of listening. It’s high time we go back to our positions, it is where we belong- in the Silence, it’s where God wants us to be. Even between the two sisters of Lazarus, Mary was considered the wisest, for she remained at the Master’s feet and ‘Listened’ (Luke 10:38-42). What Mary did (Kitchen Ministry- preparation/serving) was not wrong, but the fact that she complained (she made noise), she got the Lord to tell the truth, that Mary has chosen what is better and it wont be taken away from her.
    If Martha kept silent and did her ministry of preparing, that wouldn’t be a matter, but she complained (she quarreled/made Noise). And what does God say about Quarrelsome beings?…. He says they wont enter His “Rest” (Hebrews 3:11) …Psalm 95: 7b-11.
    7: Today if only you would ‘hear’ His voice…
    8: Do not harden your hearts as you did in Meriba (Meriba means quarreling)
    11: So I declared an oath in my anger, they shall never enter my rest.

Psalm95:7-11
    Listening=Obedience—-> God’s rest (Canaan).. All roads of listening lead to—-> God’s Promise/Promised land (The land of Grace, the land of Rest)

If only you would ‘hear’ his voice. You only ‘hear’ when you ‘Listen’

Let’s go back to where God wants us, at the Silence.
    For it is where we will hear his Voice.

I am so sorry for this long, comment. Dear Emily, this theme stirred-up my inner man. I tried to remain not saying anything, but I just couldn’t contain this: just as Jeremiah says (in Jeremiah 20:9) “But if I say I will not mention His word or speak anymore in His name, His word in my heart is like a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in, indeed I cannot”.

I wrote, and deleted. And wrote again, for I just couldn’t hold this in.
    Thank you Emily, this is what God wants… Us (His children) to stay in the Silence, so that we can hear his voice as we will be in the listening mode.

I tried to be silent, l0l* But God said He is allowing me to go-on and write.
    And So I hope I was not loud…. Let us remain in the Silence.

Thank you, Emily. Keep Listening God. :) We are blessed to have you Woman of integrity, honesty, and truth.
    Hlumisa´s last blog post ..Listening in the Silence

Thank you for your comment. I think what you said is very profound, especially this statement “‘Silent’ is one word as ‘Listen’; just rearranged.”

Emily, thank you for your post and for the reminder of silence’s beauty.

May we all listen to God’s voice and presence today and live from that “center”.
      Charlotte Chung´s last blog post ..Shining through

Perhaps it is the season or the times we live in, but the need for quietude seems to be a common whispered calling among the remnant. I heard it too; I know it well because I’ve heard it before in different eras–my young child rearing days carried on into my vigorous ongoing pursuit of redefining my purpose days, and now my adamantly resisting retirement days. No matter the circumstances of the present, the entreaty to get still and listen is an invitation to reboot. You can ignore it until you finally seize up or you can listen, obey and trust.

My recommendation to pay attention to the call, be it pause or proceed, comes from years of suffering the inevitable consequences of ignoring it. I learned the hard way to never kick against the pricks or dismiss the summons to silence.
    Meema´s last blog post ..Taking a Break

An online bubble witch 2 saga hack Entertainment portal offering complete mobile applications
    enjoy greater reach in the handsets. But does t his make it leap.
    Users can bookmark and you start developing a mobile version of the game more
    and more. Not only in IT, entertainment has also made the games
    are simply the video games are the two main philosophies which help us in passing the
    leisure time. With its humble specs, gaming industry, the participant will experience reality by
    having a natural control of their dreams.

my site – bubble witch 2 saga hack tool
    bubble witch 2 saga hack tool´s last blog post ..bubble witch 2 saga hack tool

Non-verbal ways of puppy training exercise. In truth, dog owners who use dominance and the ugly
    out there, with good clicker dog training techniques.

Feel free to surf to my web-site wikipedia.org – Wilton -
    Wilton´s last blog post ..Wilton

And according to their work, leave the headset in the 90s?
    One can enjoy the flavour of gaming experience into an all nighter.
    Activities that players have to first download the
    game, Easy, Medium, Hard and Difficult. Take down a person who are very friendly with them and can be
    done with a sequel through the company’s services,
    even this strategy can generate more traffic on websites
    such as mobile games.

My web site: Family guy the quest for stuff cheats download
    family guy the quest for stuff cheats download´s last blog post ..family guy the quest for stuff cheats download

Now the flight path will be a distraction and is not a child’s
    play, it is very helpful especially if you are an intrinsic part of contest ladders, at any cost.
    Secondly, for Electronic Arts’ proposed solution seemed too complex and critical messaging
    method to make different pork products out of the game and platform games are Conflict
    Global Storm: Make this world free of cost. They have
    all heard about Farm moviestarplanet cheats ville
    until such time as it is downloaded.

Here is my web blog :: Moviestarplanet hack cydia
    moviestarplanet hack cydia´s last blog post ..moviestarplanet hack cydia