Seven Little Ways to Live Art

This week, I’ve talked a little about smallness, making art, and living it, too. It’s easy to say “Let’s start small” but might be hard to actually do. What does that look like, exactly?

In an effort to turn intention into action, I’m pleased to finally share with you something I’ve been working on that I hope will do just that:

seven little ways to live artThis is a week-long companion to A Million Little Ways and will offer you small steps to begin to practice living art.

Get your copy now by subscribing to Chatting at the Sky - either to the blog posts or the newsletter. If you do that, enjoy! And ignore the rest of this post.

***

Still here? Maybe that’s because you have questions. Here is the part where I imagine what questions you might have and then I answer them for you.

How do I get a copy?

Seven Little Ways is available for free to anyone who subscribes to my blog or newsletter via email – whether to my monthly-ish newsletter or to the blog posts. It is a digital file you can download and read on your computer. Simply visit this page to subscribe and you will receive a link to download the guide when you confirm your subscription.

Earlier today I sent an email to existing subscribers that included a link to the guide.

I’m a subscriber but I didn’t get the email

The email went out around 11:30 EST today (Thursday January 9) so it still may arrive. Be sure to check spam and other folders as it might have ended up there.

It’s possible you subscribed a long time ago but never confirmed your address, in which case you may need to unsubscribe (so your email address is out of the system), wait a few minutes, and then re-subscribe by visiting this page and choosing either blog posts, newsletter, or both. When you do that, you will automatically receive a copy of the guide in your welcome email.

Is this basically just a tiny version of A Million Little Ways?

I definitely review some of the concepts from the book, but it is not an overview of the book or a study guide. I wanted to offer something fresh and practical for you to use everyday for a week as you begin the new year. I hope that’s what this is for you.

What if I subscribe through RSS and not email but I still want the guide?

I understand a lot of people keep their blog reading strictly in a feed reader and don’t want their inbox to get out of control. If that’s you but you still want a copy of Seven Little Ways I would encourage you to sign up only for my newsletter. It won’t clog your inbox because it only goes out once a month (lately not even that often). It is fairly short and includes exclusive content you won’t find anywhere else.

To do that, visit this page and check the ‘newsletter’ box. Once you opt-in, you will get a welcome email with a link to download the guide.

That’s all the questions I can think of. If one comes to mind, ask it in the comments and I’ll try to address it there. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy it!

Comments

1. Sandy says

Emily, Thank you so much for the companion booklet! I just had it printed and can’t wait to use it during my quiet time every day! This was a very generous and thoughtful gift! Blessings, Sandy

2. Babs C. says

Emily, Thank you for putting your time and effort into creating Seven Little Ways to Live Art (SLWTLA, lol?) for your subscribers. I am touched by your generous gift! I haven’t finished reading all of AMLW yet, and this sounds perfect. Somehow life and illnesses, holidays and family have preempted my progress. :) But I keep on reading as I can despite some life distractions. Now I’m so excited about the week-long companion because I think it will be awesome to go through as a devotional – a quick jump start into living art more fully now, even if it takes me a bit longer to complete the reading of the book. From your post it sounds like that is exactly how you intended this companion be used. What a blessing! Such a nice and fun surprise to receive! I hope you are finding fun little surprises coming your way as this year starts as well. Thank you for mine today!

Hi Melinda – I sent out an email yesterday to existing subscribers. Did you not get that email?

If not, let me know and I’ll see what’s up.

• Melinda says

Got it! It’s a lovely gift! I was teaching yesterday and delayed reading emails. Thank you for the reminder!! Don’t want to miss this one!

Hi Josie!

So sorry about that. Which are you subscribed to – newsletter, blog posts, or both?

Have you been getting the newsletter/blogs in your email lately?

3. Sandy says

Thank you! Just read “Way Two” and I can’t tell you how it spoke to me. In a world where we are always told to “do more”, “be more”, “have more”, I felt a huge sense of relief from the thought that our limits are a blessing in disguise. That they might be where the true art comes from. It reminded me of the verse that says He uses the foolish things of the world to confound the wise and the weak things of the world to confound the strong. Been feeling pretty weak (and foolish) lately, but I suspect that is just where God wants me. In my brokenness, I am throwing myself at his feet in a way I haven’t maybe for years. Thank you so much for sharing your journey – your words are really giving me a new way to look at myself and my place in Christ. Thank you.
    Sandy

4. Mary says

What a beautiful, generous gift. I printed it and of course had to look through it quickly yesterday. I saw the quote from Brother Lawrence and had to print it out to put hang up in front of me for meditation. Thank you for this companion booklet, I just finished reading your book and have been trying to focus on what “art” looks like in my life, this booklet looks like it will give me tangible ways to do that on a daily basis!

5. Brenna says

Thank you for this gift. I am verging on a creative writing journey and find myself reading each chapter of AMLW at just the right time. Your message speaks to my soul.

God’s continued blessings upon you.

6. Julie says

Thank you so much for this companion, Emily. It is beautiful, and just the words (and photos) I need as I finish a busy work week and relax into the weekend. Your generosity is much appreciated!

Thank you so much Emily, this is a great gift!

I am sort of ashamed to admit that I just bought your book last week. I had been meaning to get it for so long, but my book reading queue was already so long and congested, I was beginning to feel quite overwhelmed. But God is good, and he knows us well, and his timing is always perfect. As it turns out, I wasn’t ready to read it till last week anyway. You and your words are such a blessing. Thank you!

I was wondering if there is any way to get a “bare bones” version of this booklet, one that would not include all of your amazing pictures so I can print it without using all of my printer ink.

Thanks,

Susan

8. stef says

thank you emily! i am working through seven little ways in the moments when i remember to be calm. it’s a treat! :)